Re: Identify and kill "wild rhubarb?"

Have no idea what it is. Burdock is often called wild rhubarb. IF its like
cultivated Rhubarb, the plant will die after sending up a seed head. The
trick is to let the seedhead mature just enough to make the plant think it
has succeeded at reproducing and than cut the seed head off before it has
openned and than burn it. The plant dies the next year.
Burdock on the whole is immune to pesticides.

"rivergarden" <rivergarden.2a24707@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Hi all. As i've said before I'm brand new to gardening so I hope this is
an obvious question and easily answered. I have inherited a fairly damp
garden and a plant that I was told was wild rhubarb, though looking on
the net I would say not, is sprouting up everywhere.

Its description follows: very rapidly growing, starts with red fairly
think single shoot, growing to 1 inch wide single stem with thin broad
leafed branches forming wide leafy canopy. Stems are hollow in nature
and are green with red flecks. Live plants are easily snapped making it
impossible to pull the roots up via the stalk. Dead plant forms brittle
fragile hollow tubes to about 2m tall.

My questions as I say are what is it? has it any use - edible? How do I
make it die - bearing in mind its everywhere making it nearly impossible
to dig up.

Any thoughts?

--
rivergarden

  • Re: What system did the designer use?]
    ... enriched this group when s/he wrote: ... memory serves they die in a hard freeze. ... And humans will plant them. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: OT garden help was Re: Easiest cake ever
    ... to be transplanting the size and type of plant the lilac is. ... I do have a new lilac in a pot I picked up at the nursery last ... and it still may die but boy is that weird. ... radio program on BBC Radio 4 had a similar situation to you. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Agave Americana
    ... Agaves are best planted where they get ... The plant is already making quite large pups so I suppose ... it is just possible it might flower in the next year or so and then die. ... too much but the needles are liable to blind someone so they will have their ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Any Christian Electronic Designers Here?
    ... A fresh water flood would wipe out all plant life. ... All the herbivores would die. ... God doesn't exist = drop the religious act ... There were very few animals at the time. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Identify and kill "wild rhubarb?"
    ... garden and a plant that I was told was wild rhubarb, ... Live plants are easily snapped making it ... Dead plant forms brittle ... fragile hollow tubes to about 2m tall. ...
    (rec.gardens)