Re: Salt water damage to azaleas

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> Do you imagine the West Australia Dept of Agriculture has not been to
> Australia or studied its situation? I'm very surprised you find a talk
> by a Boston-based photographic journalist, more scientifically
> significant than their peer-reviewed research.

I think everyone is willing to say that the West Australia Dept of
Agriculture knows their business. What we're saying is you're not
understanding what you're reading. You're taking it so out of context that
you think it says just the opposite of what they're really saying.

In the very first paragraph it states:
"Increased recharge raises the water table, bringing naturally stored salts
from depth to the surface."

So their point is that the salt problem that rainfall causes is the rise in
the water table, not the salt content of the rain itself. While the source
of the salt is believed to be the rain water, the amount of salt in the rain
is essentially insignificant unless you have no flushing action, and you
wait 20,000 years.

They're not saying that it rains salt water. Their saying that because of
geological conditions salt in the soil isn't being flushed by the rain
water.

Ann's expert is saying the same thing your expert is saying, but you aren't
understanding what your expert is really saying, and you're hearing
essentially the opposite of what they actually are saying. You are
misunderstanding what you are reading.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

  • Re: New Approach to Water Desalination Could Lead to Small, Portable Units for Disaster Sites or Rem
    ... They'd have enough salt to last them forever! ... water is just a drink. ... We get far more rain here than our dam ... It only takes a few mm of rain to fill the tank. ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: OT: News from the web
    ... Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. ... Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs." ... Hence the rhyme, "Peas porridge hot, peas porridge ... So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)
  • Re: OT: political, people in glass houses
    ... > Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. ... > Hence the saying, Don't throw the baby out with the Bath ... > coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch ... > ground and tie it to a bell. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: OT: News from the web
    ... Fascinating "news" from 500 years ago, but you left out my favorite ... Emerson wrote: ... > Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. ... > Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs." ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)
  • OT- Interesting historical snippets
    ... I thought I'd drop in with some bit of historical bits for you folks: ... Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. ... Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water." ... So they would dig up coffins and would take the ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)