Re: TECH: AFM Slam Tilt

Good detective work, you may have found your problem:
Here's what you should check on your targets #43 and #44 - they don't sound wired right to me!

All the martian target Switches should be wired:
White----(diode)-->|---(Switch)||Green
The White (row) trace color will be different for each switch.
The Green (col) trace color will be Yellow (col 4) T-I-A-N
or black (col 5) M-A-R

Band of diode connects to one switch blade and green wire is on the other switch blade.

Typical for the MARTIAN switches (I just checked my AFM):
Front Lug - JUST the banded side of the diode goes here.
Middle Lug - Green wire here.
Rear Lug - White wire joins the non-banded side of the diode here. This lug needs to be isolated from both switch blades.

The only time it doesn't look exactly like this is if a different color wire was used "daisy chain" connections between targets on the same COL, to avoid running separate wires from the backbox for each target. But the green wires are still logically connected the above way.

After all that- My theory is that your "A" target at position #41 has a mashed/shorted (or bad) diode. When the "I" target is hit in that situation, "slam tilt #21" would be the result. That's my guess.

Note: This shows you can't always find the fault at the last target you hit when the problem occurs!

I would wire up targets #43 and #44 correctly and also replace the diode at the "A" target with a new one. Then see if the problem goes away. I bet it does.

If that works, then I can give you an explanation of why this theory is true. Hint for techs: Switch #24 is the "always closed" switch.

Cheers

-Richard