Re: For Sale -- new pair Go Seigen style bowls, $40

Well Roy, you were very close to the truth. Here's the answer, directly

from Janice Kim at Samarkand. I had no idea she invented these terms.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:36:40 -0600
From: "Janice Kim" <jkim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Anton Ninno" <antonninno@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Origin of Go Seigen & Kitani style bowls?

Dear Anton,

Actually, I named them the Go Seigen and the Kitani bowls because
I wanted to have an easy way of distinguishing between them. The
bowls that I think are more Chinese-style because of their wider,
flatter
shape I called the Go Seigen bowls since he is from China, and the
Japanese-style taller shape I called the Kitani since Kitani is from
Japan.
It was a little unexpected that others would start calling them that
also!
It's getting hard to find the Chinese-style bowls any longer, but if we
find
a new supplier the "Go Seigen" bowls will make a comeback on the
Samarkand site.

Best,
Janice

  • Re: For Sale -- new pair Go Seigen style bowls, $40
    ... I paid $80 for them at Samarkand last year, but they're way too large for my old 5.0 mm shell stones. ... Syracuse Go Club - Syracuse, ... Consider placing a removable "liner" in the bottom of your bowls to take up the differential in volume, so that the stones sit up on the top of the bowl, not deep inside... ...
    (rec.games.go)
  • Re: For Sale -- new pair Go Seigen style bowls, $40
    ... >I paid $80 for them at Samarkand last year, ... What about these bowls makes them "Go Seigen style"? ...
    (rec.games.go)