Re: Quitting 3.5

sw <sw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2008-04-08, Kyle Wilson <UsenetMessage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wasn't thinking of anything nearly that dramatic. I was thinking
more along the lines of finding out that the folks behind the door
aren't low level thugs, but enforcers for the local organized crime
syndicate. Everything looks OK until you start missing and they start
chopping you to ribbons. In the above example, simply replace
encounter #4 (assuming that the other encounters are reasonably
scaled) with an orc warband consisting of a fifth level cleric and
four third level fighters with appropriate gear. For a party that
would be challenged by to generic orc warriors, this group is likely
to prove terminal (and they'll probably wade into the attack thinking
that this is the 'big challenge'...four first level orc warriors).

In a world with the sorts of power differentials that all D&D settings
contain, it only takes one bad misstep (particularly if you are a band
of 'thugs' looking for trouble) to wind up squashed like a bug. The
fact that this doesn't happen to parties of PC all that often suggests
that there is some factor of luck involved (watched over by a DM who
wants to run an enjoyable game).

It depends a lot on the game environment. If you expect the DM to always
show up with an "Average Party Level appropriate" module to run, then
you're probably going to assume that anything you fight is going to be
roughly in your weight range. If you get the impression that you can run
into things that are out of your league, you'll investigate more
thoroughly before kicking in doors to make sure that you're not throwing
down with someone who can explode you by thinking bad thoughts in your
general direction.

Problems only really occur when the party wants to play one style and
the DM another. But, really, that's true for a lot of aspects of play.

Yup...a game that required more thinking and a more cautious approach
would be fun to run (but a bit more work I suspect), but my current
group wouldn't like it much.

Explaining the former style /in game/, of course... well, luck or
destiny is as good an explanation as any.
--

Kyle Wilson
email: myfirstname at wilson.mv.com
.