Re: Movie Review: 300

tussock <scrub@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:45f7b615$1@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

David Alex Lamb wrote:
No 33 Secretary wrote:
Shawn Roske wrote:
all hail the holy peer review, never mind the corporate
grants.

You object to the scientific method? Perhaps you should go
hunt dinner with a sharp stick.

I don't see anything with which to replace peer review, but it
has its problems, like the occasional cadre of backstabbers who
reject papers from the competition. Plus, it's fair to wonder
how much researchers (and therefore reviewers) are influenced
by their funders' outlook.

Largely speaking, they aren't. The current funding model
overly
promotes consensus and can't handle high risk or unknown goals
well,

Or results well outside of expectation - stuf that really does
change what we know at a fundamental level. (Which, fortunately,
doesn't happen all that often.)

but it doesn't seem to produce anything objectively false
until the PR guys get their hands on it.

Unless, of course, you are researching climate change, where you
_will_ lose your funding if you even suggest that we need to do
more research on global warming.

The news stories that purport to educate the masses on
scientific
matters are a whole 'nother story, as are the politicians and
such who back their social models with fabulously twisted
science.

Was it Joey Skaggs who did the fake physics paper on how our
political beliefs cause quantum physics laws to change, and got it
published in a peer reviewed journal?

--
"What is the first law?"
"To Protect."

Terry Austin

  • Re: Lucy and the Arc of Visual Perception
    ... No citations and no peer review. ...  Another elitist avoiding the question by diversion – ... The 'scientific method' is essentially as follows:- “Scientific ... structure of the head as shown by successive dated fossil skull ...
    (sci.anthropology.paleo)
  • Re: Is Psychology/psychiatry a Science?
    ... "Scientific method is founded on the double-blind principle" ... " The double blind is only ONE way to set ... That's where peer reviewed journals come in and granted no one is perfect, ... What specific beef do you have against peer review? ...
    (sci.med)
  • Re: Why did Richard P. Feynman say, "I love only nature, and I hate mathematicians"?
    ... of the squishier areas in science. ... from craftsmanship, from art, from mathematics. ... *somewhere* invoke all the aspects of the scientific method, ... But peer review takes place in parts of science essentially devoid of experimental input - peers express their opinion on purely speculative, ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: E-cigarettes?
    ... Do you think his 200 journal articles ... articles may cite double blind studies, but they may also cite surveys ... Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating ... peer review refers to the work done during the ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)