hit men in America

Hit man's bullet finds newspaper editorStory Highlights
Chauncey Bailey gunned down in Oakland, California

He's the outspoken new editor of The Oakland Post

Police say it was a "hit"
Next Article in U.S. »

OAKLAND, California (AP) -- The outspoken new editor of the Oakland
Post was shot to death Thursday near a downtown courthouse in what
police believe was a deliberate hit.

Chauncey Bailey, who had been a reporter for The Oakland Tribune
before moving to the Post in June, was killed around 7:30 a.m.,
Oakland Police spokesman Roland Holmgren said. He said witnesses told
police that a single gunman shot Bailey and then fled.

Police had no motive for the killing but said it did not appear to be
random. Holmgren said investigators would look into any possible
connections with Bailey's work.

"I've spoken with him several times," Holmgren said. "I know him as
being a somewhat outspoken type individual, assertive in his
journalistic approach when trying to get at matters at hand."

Bailey grew up in Oakland and worked with several area media outlets,
including KDIA radio and Soul Beat TV, a local cable channel. He wrote
for the Tribune for more than 10 years before being named editor of
the Post, a weekly community newspaper.

Oakland Tribune managing editor Martin G. Reynolds said Bailey was "a
friend, a valued colleague and a loving father" whose coverage of
Oakland's black community was "a tremendous asset."

At the Oakland Post, Gwendolyn Carter, the paper's advertising
manager, said the staff of about 10 was shocked by Bailey's death.

"He was a good man," Carter said. "He always took care of me. He would
say I was his little sister and he was my big brother."

Police and Crime Stoppers of Oakland offered up to $10,000 in reward
money for information leading to the gunman's arrest. E-mail to a
friend

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or

.