Re: renege

"Joseph Pugliese" <jfpug27@xxxxxxx> writes:

> We had a renege at our bridge club and we didn't know how to handle
> it. The laws of bridge are not too clear. Can you help:?
>
> Must it be discovered before the next trick is played. If it is
> discovered later can you go back and check previous tricks. When dose
> it stand as played." Etc.

Revokes on trick twelve are special; you simply correct them no matter
when they happen. Revoker's partner may not play a card that depends
on having seen RHOs hand.

The rules for revokes depend on whether the revoke is "established" or
"not established". If it's established, then it stands as played, and
the offending side loses one or two tricks at the end of the hand as a
penalty. But if it's not established, then the revoker can correct
his error right then.

A revoke becomes established once either player of the revoking side
plays a card to the NEXT trick.

More specifically then:

If you become aware of your revoke before it is established, you MUST
correct it. You withdraw the card and play another. Other players
which play after you in that trick may change their play (except that
partner of offender may only change his play if RHO changed his). If
a defender revokes, then the withdrawn card and a card played by his
partner become penalty cards.

If the revoke is established, then there is a penalty at the end of
the hand. If you won the trick of the revoke, then you lose that
trick as a penalty, and one more trick if you won any further tricks,
for a maximum of two.

If you lost the trick of the revoke, then you lose one trick if you
won any trick later, and also if you won another trick later with a
card which could have been played on the trick of the revoke, a second
trick as a penalty.

In all cases, if the penalty is not sufficient to restore equity, more
tricks should be transferred. In no cases is the penalty reduced on
the theory that "we know what would have happened without the revoke".

Thomas

  • Re: where is DS when you need him?
    ... failure to follow suit does not constitute a revoke after all is ... Law 45B in fact specifies that a heart was led. ... mean the trick changes from a heart trick into a club trick? ... If dummy places in the played position a card that declarer did ...
    (rec.games.bridge)
  • Re: Another Revoke question - English duplicate
    ... Director called and as declarer all I wanted to ... I've been reeading up on all the revoke rules and they seem pretty ... hence win that trick. ... I felt it insufficient penalty. ...
    (rec.games.bridge)
  • Re: Any relief under the laws?
    ... revoke and since she won that trick and a subsequent trick, ... This seemed to me to be a rather severe penalty given the circumstances. ... The "equity" provision in the revoke law is to protect the non- ...