Re: OKBridge/Ethics

asdfg2k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (asdfg2k) writes:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:04:40 -0700, tb+usenet@xxxxxxxxxx (Thomas
> Bushnell, BSG) wrote:
>
>>Dwayne Hoffman <keylime@xxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> I'd be VERY hesitant about posting on a public forum. Not only do you
>>> have slander potential, but if someone gets it wrong it would lead to
>>> serious consequences.
>>>
>>> Cheating is a scourge that must be stopped - public denouncing tho
>>> isn't the way to stop it.
>>
>>I understand the problems you are worried about. At the same time,
>>we've just been told that "everyone" in Italy knew about the recent
>>cheaters, kept them off the national team, refused to play with them,
>>etc., and yet: THEY WERE PERMITTED TO KEEP ON CHEATING.
>>
>>See the problem with people keeping closed-lipped? Those who are in
>>the know can avoid the cheaters, and the rest of us have to play
>>with/against them. That doesn't seem very equitable to me.
>
> Tough.
>
> Under no circumstances should anybody support a cure which is worse
> than the disease.

I don't think people are counting the cost of the disease. When we
are told that the disease is easily controlled since you can simply
refuse to play with the cheaters, you assume that everyone is "in the
know."

  • Re: Just a pity Federer had mono in 2008
    ... that he was still able to play tournaments and practice as normal? ... I do believe the disease had a significant impact on ... However it's clear to most neutral observers ... impartial observers ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Re: Beer !
    ... play $5 SNGs together. ... Most of them were from RGP, ... Hatred is purity...weakness is disease! ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: Dont get Lyme disease
    ... I started playing and my left hand ... Lyme disease, but I struggled through it, leaving out the difficult stuff. ... Don't play what the public wants. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: OKBridge/Ethics
    ... >> then they'd go play checkers instead. ... > Lindy's complaint was about cheaters in tournaments. ... hard reality is neither OKB nor BBO ...
    (rec.games.bridge)
  • Re: best open club players that didnt go to the big time colleges
    ... Funny you should say that about the seamen being cheaters. ... I don't think observers ever overturned a call the seamen made....they ... Did you ever play against or watch the seamen play? ... I did...they played hard, but always played by the rules....may have ...
    (rec.sport.disc)