Re: Hitting too often leads to losing game?

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:57:40 -0700 (PDT), pauldepstein@xxxxxxx wrote:

On Mar 20, 7:45 pm, David C. Ullrich <dullr...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:38:11 -0700 (PDT), pauldepst...@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Mar 20, 11:30 am, "peter" <nos...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sometimes I trap so many opponent pieces in front of mine, they actually get
in the way making it difficult to bear off, and often cause me to lose the
game. So, is it generally a bad idea to hit too many opponent pieces? How
many is too many?

A very general question.  You would get a more informed response if
you asked a specific query about the recommended play in a specific
situation.
Almost certainly, no, you are not hitting too many checkers.  Hitting
is not usually a mistake in this general situation.

Generally all that seems right, except the "Almost certainly, no,
you are not hitting too many checkers." is much too strong.
Around here our general rule is "it's never wrong to hit" but
there are lots of exceptions to that. In particular if he's playing
someone who understands backgames fairly well and he's
clueless about defending against one then he could well be
hitting too much.

David C. Ullrich

The question of whether to hit or not is a rather subtle one. It's
clear that the OP is a beginner, and is almost certainly making far
more elementary errors than "hitting too much". For example, he
probably doesn't count the shotleavers on the next roll and minimise
this number. Also, he probably bears in too quickly rather than
delaying the bear-in in order to force his opponent to crash. Best to
get the most elementary stuff right first. The question of "hitting
too much or not" can be tackled later.

Supposing for the sake of argument that that's all exactly correct,
it doesn't make your statement "Almost certainly, no, you are not
hitting too many checkers" right.

Paul Epstein

David C. Ullrich

  • Re: Is this an accurate evaluation by GNU ?
    ... and this position qualifies. ... from the 9 point to the 4 point before hitting a blot. ... the checkers for the prime will be coming from the 24 and 22 points. ... are greatly overestimating the cost of getting hit. ...
    (rec.games.backgammon)
  • Re: Hitting too often leads to losing game?
    ... in the way making it difficult to bear off, and often cause me to lose the ... is it generally a bad idea to hit too many opponent pieces? ... Almost certainly, no, you are not hitting too many checkers. ... more elementary errors than "hitting too much". ...
    (rec.games.backgammon)
  • Re: Hitting too often leads to losing game?
    ... is it generally a bad idea to hit too many opponent pieces? ... Almost certainly, no, you are not hitting too many checkers. ... the key problem in your game is not that of hitting ...
    (rec.games.backgammon)
  • Re: Hitting too often leads to losing game?
    ... is it generally a bad idea to hit too many opponent pieces? ... Almost certainly, no, you are not hitting too many checkers. ... is not usually a mistake in this general situation. ...
    (rec.games.backgammon)
  • Re: Alex to move
    ... Re-circulates after a hit and loosens the squeeze on his inflexible ... then break dancing between hitting and trying to make his board. ... he'll be hitting and breaking the extremely ... we're not just comparing one play to another play, ...
    (rec.games.backgammon)