Re: OT: Water Fuel

On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:53:24 -0500, FL Turbo <noemail@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Sun, 14 May 2006 01:46:38 -0400, Russell Patterson <me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Everyone talking about using the hydrogen should look at the video
again. The inventor says he came up with a new type of gas called
HHO. I suspect he may have discovered a way to recombine the hydrogen
and oxygen in a different molecule that has the properties displayed
in the video. If this is the case then the danger of dealing with
hydrogen may be limited to the internal workings of the machine he
invented. It could be the HHO is somewhat safer than pure hydrogen.

Every so often, there is a new claim by someone claiming to be able to
produce hydrogen gas with little effort.

I always remain skeptical.
I go back to basic Chemistry (which I always hated in school)

The bonds between hydrogen and oxygen in water are very strong.
That is what makes water an inert substance in the first place.
Separating the hydrogen and oxygen takes a lot of energy.
The point is that it takes more energy to produce the hydrogen than
the energy gained from burning the hydrogen.

Whenever you read about someone starting out with the statement that
hydrogen is a "source" of energy, you have to doubt that they know
what they are talking about.

If you go way, way back in time, you will find mention of the
Hindenberg.
That was a blimp that was filled with hydrogen gas to provide the
lift.

It caught on fire as it was landing, and the ensuing blaze killed a
whole lot of people.

After that, the idea of using hydrogen for any reason was dead.

I vaguely remember reading an article about using hydrogen as a fuel.
The point that sticks in my mind is that gasoline, being heavier than
air, pools on the ground.
Hydrogen, being lighter than air, will go upwards.

That makes it a disaster for an aircraft, but a plus factor for a
vehicle on the ground.

Now, there are a whole lot of processes for producing hydrogen, but
getting it from water is not one of the most effective methods.

But still, nuclear power plants may be able to work around that
problem.

The electrical grid distributing electricity to everyone has to be
sized for the biggest load, which always occurs during the daytime.

At night, their load drops dramatically.
If you use that time to deliver energy to users of hydrogen based
vehicles who are asleep at night, it is an effective use of the power
grid that has already been built.

During the day the hydrogen could be produced on a much smaller scale
using photoelectric arrays to produce the electrical current. Of
course the economics will still have to be right to make it pay off,
for the small amount of gain in production.

As usual, the political scene is dominated by Scientifically and
Economically Illiterate Activists who pontificate about things they
know nothing about.

I swear to gawd that there are people out there that think a fuel cell
can magically pluck hydrogen out of the air.

.

Quantcast