Re: Questions regarding Martha Stewart encapsulated aluminum base saucepan

On 18 Apr 2007 21:02:19 -0700, John2005 <johnjmechanical@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

....I prefer to buy American whenever I can.

Well, you won't be buying much, then, so your savings should grow quickly. 8;)

I also did not realize that the bottom of the pan is made from
encapsulated aluminum. Does this mean that there is a aluminum piece
"sandwiched" between two pieces of stainless steel ?

Yes.

Will my food or
boiling water ever come in contact with aluminum ?

No.

Does the stove
burner come in contact with aluminum ?

No.

I thought the whole pan was stainless steel.

I know some people cook with aluminum, but I prefer stainless.

You won't if you try both straight stainless and clad pans (as the aluminum or
copper sandwich-type are called). Stainless is a relatively poor conductor, and
prone to conducting hot spots straight through to the food. I have never met
anyone who prefers straight stainless pans.

Lastly, can anyone recommend a decent line of stainless steel cookware
that is reasonably priced and made in America ? I don't mind paying a
little more for American made....

I will be interested in any replies -- I seriously doubt that such products
exist. I also doubt, in this era of global trade, that you or anyone else can
backtrack pot and pan production to tell where all stages of production from raw
materials take place. It's the same with cars -- I'd wager that there is not a
single production car made entirely with components made in the US.

I would recommend the Tramontina clad line carried by WalMart. It's made in
South America, though. I have no idea where the steel and aluminum are sourced.

-- Larry

  • Re: How best to cut stainless?
    ... routinely do steel and aluminum, but the few times I've tried to cut ... Stainless comes in a wide variety of alloy types---some heat treatable, ... materials are free machining and are a pleasure to machine. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Margaret, please read
    ... >> So out of concern for your health, I'm suggesting you replace the Krups ... >> with one of the many machines that have stainless or brass innards. ... contrary to the advice of The Food ... There is an absence of proof that aluminum has any ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: Cherokee battery box repair
    ... > So far there's one vote for aluminum, one for stainless, and one for tin, ... > the alternator to slowly charge a completely dead battery with the master ... My Cherokee's battery box is made of stainless steel. ...
    (rec.aviation.owning)
  • Re: I busted my bow railing... *ugh*!
    ... A shop that has expertise in welding stainless is not necessary ... Eisboch (who spent hours trying to weld aluminum to steel while the ...
    (rec.boats)