Avert your eyes if you have set ideas about chili

Because I broke every rule in the book. I used, chicken, beans and a
commercial chili powder mix. So stop right here if you have a problem
with any of them.

Chicken and Chorizo Chili by sf
Use linguica if you can?t find Spanish chorizo (fresh)

2 links (about 6 ounces) fresh Spanish-style chorizo sausage or
linguica ? if using linguica, cut into chunks and pulse in the food
processor until it looks like hamburger.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into ½-inch pieces
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon each granulated garlic (or chop up 3-4 cloves of fresh) and
oregano
1 medium yellow onion, diced into large pieces
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
cayenne or other hot pepper to taste
½ cup broth or water (I used beef broth)
Cayenne to taste
15 ounce can Mexican style stewed tomatoes (see Note)
10 ounce can store brand petit diced tomatoes with green chilies (or
Rotel)
15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used the one with
jalapeños, so I drained but didn?t rinse and cut the jalapeño into
smaller pieces)
15 ounce can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed

1. Crumble the sausage into a large pan and sauté until cooked
through, but not brown. Remove sausage from the pan and heat the oil
to sauté the chicken. Blot chicken dry and season with salt and
pepper. Cook chicken in 2-3 batches, allowing it to brown a little
before removing from pan, about 5 minutes per batch; reserve.

2. Reduce heat. Add onion and chorizo to pot and cook until sausage is
well rendered and onions are completely soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in
chili powder and cumin, cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes that have been
pulverized in the food processor; add chicken, garlic, oregano and 1/2
cup water or broth. Bring mixture to a simmer; reduce heat and cook,
covered, for 20 minutes. Take the lid off at 10 minutes to see if it?s
reducing. Taste and add some cayenne, if you want it hotter/spicier.

3. Add beans and simmer, uncovered, until chicken is tender and chili
has thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Taste one last time to
check for seasoning.

Note: If you think tomatoes with chilies will be too hot, use a 28
ounce can of peeled whole tomatoes that have been broken up in the
food processor, the chunkiness factor is up to you.

I serve the chili with cornbread. The recipe I used was equal parts
flour and cornmeal (next time I will try ¾ cup flour to 1¼ cup
cornmeal), ¼ cup sugar (so shoot me) and buttermilk. I didn?t mess
around with a cast iron skillet ? just put it into an ordinary metal
pan (square) and baked for 20 minutes.

  • Re: Vegetarian Chili (WAS: Re: Visits from "beyond"...)
    ... tablespoons chili powder ... 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, ... 15 ounce can kidney beans, ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • 7 Can Soup
    ... Beans and Grains, Beef, Ground Beef, Soups, Tomatoes ... 10 3/4 ounce tomato soup, ...
    (rec.food.recipes)
  • Re: Avert your eyes if you have set ideas about chili
    ... I used, chicken, beans and a ... Chicken and Chorizo Chili by sf ... 15 ounce can Mexican style stewed tomatoes ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Snarky or Snarkiness?
    ... tomatoes as is - either needs sugar on top or salt and chili powder on top, ... and just a sprinkle of salt. ... Anyone who would even think about putting sugar or chili powder on ...
    (rec.pets.dogs.behavior)
  • Re: The Great OS Upodate
    ... onions and tomatoes. ... That bottled stuff always tasted like ketchup and ... chili powder to me. ... have a decent recipe, but I haven't had one yet. ...
    (rec.boats)