Re: Paleo/GAPS/Gluten Free/Dairy Free Diet Suggestions?

Julie Bove <juliebove@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I didn't know what GAPS meant either

Nor I

so I looked it up. Much that is on
that is not allowed on the other diets. For instance, ham would not be
allowed on the Paleo. Nuts are supposed to be eaten on the Paleo and GAPS.

So it looks like it would have to be plain meats, fish, some vegetables
perhaps with allowed fats, some cooked, some raw, eggs and whatever fruits
are allowed on whatever version of Paleo she is following. That seems to
vary. Processed foods of any kind are not allowed. And on the Paleo, no
grains whatever.

I personally am not sure this would be the way to go for children unless it
is medically warranted because when you eliminate all grains you eliminate
certain vitamins. And it might not work for a very active person because of
the low carbs. From what I have read online, Paleo is for weight loss and
GAPS is for digestion issues. GAPS to me sounds like a sensible way for
anyone to eat. Paleo does not. But then it's not my diet.

Right. It seems Ranee was not looking for comments on the choice of
diet(s), just for menu suggestions.

When looking further into grains and glutens, I found the following
on the USDA site:

http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/topics/celiac.html

This author divides grains into four categories:

(1) Wheat and grains closely related to wheat and are similar in terms
of proteins toxic to celiac persons: spelt, barley, kamut, rye, triticale.
(2) Corn and rice, which have been shown not to be toxic to celiac persons
(3) Grains that are most closely related to corn and so may be non-toxic,
but about which less is known: sorghum, teff, ragi, Job's tears
(4) Grains that are only distantly related to wheat and can be assumed
to be non-toxic: buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, canola

He does not list oats as being safe due to non-universal acceptance of
the safety research on oats as well as frequent contamination.

(The paper appears to be a decade or more old though, so maybe some
of category (3) is now solidly considered safe.)

Steve