Re: Heads up to dog owners
- From: Jeßus <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:00:43 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:16:14 -0600, Kathleen wrote:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:45:19 -0600, Kathleen wrote:
If the "business end" was shot off, I can't see what the problem wouldWell, right. And presumably the thing was headed down the gullet, if
be? I'm not aware of any venomous snake meat that is in any way toxic
(aside from the head, obviously). Their vertebrae would digest very
not head first, then at least front end first with the scales flat and
smooth. Ripping it back out, against the grain of the scales, sounds
pretty freakin' uncomfortable to me. No wonder the poor dog was
crouching, hunched over afterwards.
Labs are notorious for eating all sorts of garbage. My vet has a
poster on the wall of one of her exam rooms with x-rays of labradors
and the various objects they'd managed to consume. Stuff like rocks,
25 golf balls, a screw driver, drywall screws all sorts of random crap.
I have a six month old Kelpie ( http://tinyurl.com/dusty-dawg ) that is
much the same - she eats the most disgusting stuff imaginable and yet
often turns her nose up at her dry biscuits, and sometimes even fresh
meat (she won't eat it later either). But rabbit and kangaroo droppings
are a delicacy, apparently. Who knows what bits plastic etc. is in her
Oh, well, herbivore droppings are a universal canine delicacy.
I've learned not to watch my crew when I let them outside first thing in
the morning. I keep the door open so I can hear them if there's a
fight, but I'd rather not watch them snarfing up rabbit turds before
I've had my coffee. Sheep poo is another favorite, but fresh horse
manure is the best. You can eat it AND wear it as a perfume.
Until I got a heavy duty stock tank to use as a cooling pool for my
dogs, I regularly found shreds of blue plastic scattered around the
yard, from them ingesting plastic from the edges of their wading pool.
Labs, though, seem to suffer from a sort of congenital pica. Animal,
vegetable, mineral, if it fits down the gullet, it's food.
And, by the way, if you discover that your dog has ingested something
sharp (a glass X-Mas ornament, for example), first aid is cotton balls
dipped in cream, followed by a call to the vet for further advice. The
theory is that the cotton fibers wrap around the shards and allow them
to be carried through the digestive tract without damage.
Thanks for the great tip, I'd have never thought of that idea.
And sorry for taking so long to reply <G>.
- Prev by Date: Re: Less posters on group
- Next by Date: Re: Heads up to dog owners
- Previous by thread: Christmas cheer.... killing my wine stocks!!
- Next by thread: Re: Heads up to dog owners