news:5fi91qF3c5vafU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"zxcvbob" <zxcvbob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:5fi8e0F3bdtkfU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Peter wrote:
"itsjoannotjoann" <itsjoannotjoann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1184093262.597575.94850@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Jul 10, 1:28 pm, "Peter" <n...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Indeed. It's still OK to kill a mentally ill person in the USA today
too
apparently. I think, after studying various points of justice in
history at
school an during my own time, it is easy to see some progrssive
reasoning
with some countries, because they are willing to be open and discuss
the
issue with its citizens. Afterall the government is there because
the
citizens pay them to be there to serve them, to serve the will of the
people.

I don't live in the American culture of death penalties and war
though, so
it is hard for me to grasp the thought process that allows it to
continue.

Everybody here claims 'mental illness' when facing the death penalty.
They were abused as children, didn't get that bicycle they wanted at
age 10 and it warped their minds, dad/mom spanked him as a child and
he was so affected by it that he grew up to kill, etc. Take your
choice, it's always someone else's fault that they grew up to be
lowlife scum of the earth and but certainly not their fault to hear
them and their lawyers tell it. There's just some mean, evil, nasty
people in this world who don't deserve to live. They're just sucking
up air that someone else could be breathing. They are not
contributing to society, working on world hunger/peace, nor are they
looking for a cure for cancer/aids/birth defects, take your pick.

Of course after a few years in the slammer, they all get religion and
of course they are reformed and should be set free. Give me a break.
\\

I just don't understand how in a civilized world that people would
condone the killing of a fellow man. I'm not a church going person
either. Once you kill someone, thats it, it is final, and there is
never again a chance to bring back that person from death to learn
about there crimes, or for them to prove their innocense. Many
condenmed persons have been proven innocent thanks to modern forensics,
and who is to say that future forensics wouldn't prove future persons
innocent.

A person in jail for life does you no harm, why murder them?

Minor correction, when the state kills someone after they are found
guilty, it is not murder. That is of little comfort to the person being
executed. But other than that I agree with you. The *ease* with which
China executed this corrupt official demonstrates their lack of respect
for value for human life.

That we execute some of our guilty prisoners, even after a long appeals
process, undermines our credibility to protest human rights violations
elsewhere.

To whoever it was complaining about the expense to house and feed a
prisoner for years and years: Because of that long appeals process, it
is actually cheaper to imprison someone for life than to execute them.

Best regards,
Bob

If a family member was about to be killed right in front of you, and you
could easily "wish" the perpetrator to die instantly, would you do it?

I would stop them myself, with my bare hands and feet if I didn't have a
gun or knife or pitchfork (etc.) handy; if they died in the process, so be
it. And I think I would have a clear conscience about it.

I'm not a Buddhist, and I think self-defense is an inalienable right.
What's that got to do with the death penalty?

Bob

So, it's OK to kill them at the moment the crime is about to happen. But,
after a jury trial, it's not? I'm confused. Does the value of the perp's
life change with the passage of time?

  • Re: China executes food safety cheif
    ... Once you kill someone, thats it, it is final, and there is ... A person in jail for life does you no harm, ... That we execute some of our guilty prisoners, ... appeals process, undermines our credibility to protest human rights ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: China executes food safety cheif
    ... Once you kill someone, thats it, it is final, and there is never again a chance to bring back that person from death to learn about there crimes, or for them to prove their innocense. ... The *ease* with which China executed this corrupt official demonstrates their lack of respect for value for human life. ... That we execute some of our guilty prisoners, even after a long appeals process, undermines our credibility to protest human rights violations elsewhere. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: China executes food safety cheif
    ... Everybody here claims 'mental illness' when facing the death penalty. ... The *ease* with which China executed this corrupt official demonstrates their lack of respect for value for human life. ... That we execute some of our guilty prisoners, even after a long appeals process, undermines our credibility to protest human rights violations elsewhere. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: China executes food safety cheif
    ... Once you kill someone, thats it, it is final, and there is never again a chance to bring back that person from death to learn about there crimes, or for them to prove their innocense. ... Many condenmed persons have been proven innocent thanks to modern forensics, and who is to say that future forensics wouldn't prove future persons innocent. ... The *ease* with which China executed this corrupt official demonstrates their lack of respect for value for human life. ... That we execute some of our guilty prisoners, even after a long appeals process, undermines our credibility to protest human rights violations elsewhere. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: OT: What is your least popular opinion?
    ... When someone gets life they spend life period no early outs. ... also receive the death penalty. ... Remember Thou shalt not kill? ... Eye for an eye doesn't mean you have to take an ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)