Re: What's a good substitute for canned green chiles?

In article <1150381649.365158.88580@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Bailey Legull" <pluto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I posted a couple months ago how it's impossible to find canned
enchilada sauce in New York. Well, guess what? I found something else
they don't sell here. Canned green chiles.

I got a craving for Green Chile Chicken Stew, and bought everything
else I need to make it. Discover nobody here has even HEARD of canned
green chiles. On the plus side, I can find maybe fifty different types
of FRESH green chiles. Anybody got ideas on substituting? The recipe
calls for 3 4.5 cans of green chiles. Maybe like 4 fresh poblanos?
Can I roast them in the oven, or under the broiler? I *hate* doing
them on the burners: they need too much attention.

Thanks in advance!

Sure, roast them in your oven. I do it really hot - 450 or 500. When
they are soft and blackened in spots pull them out and cover with
plastic wrap (or put into a plastic zipper bag) and let cool. Once cool
they will be easy to peel and seed. Chop them up and use them like the
canned.

marcella

  • Re: Cornbread - I wonder why?
    ... >>> I put green chiles and creamed corn in my cornbread. ... Either of you want to post a recipe? ... can of cream style corn and a small can of chopped green ... > I was wondering if anyone used fresh green chiles. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Cornbread - I wonder why?
    ... can of cream style corn and a small can of chopped green ... This would be for a recipe calling for 2 ... >> I was wondering if anyone used fresh green chiles. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Whats a good substitute for canned green chiles?
    ... enchilada sauce in New York. ... they don't sell here. ... Canned green chiles. ... of FRESH green chiles. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Whats a good substitute for canned green chiles?
    ... they don't sell here. ... Canned green chiles. ... I got a craving for Green Chile Chicken Stew, ... of FRESH green chiles. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Whats a good substitute for canned green chiles?
    ... Canned green chiles. ... of FRESH green chiles. ... delis, or trendy shops that are too snooty to carry "common foods", one of ...
    (rec.food.cooking)