Re: Do poppy seeds go bad?

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 08:11:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> CookieChick?
>
>> I have a huge, open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5
>> years old. I was going to try and bake muffins with them. Anyone think
>> they are still good?
>
> They don't actually spoil in the sense of "rotten foofd", but they can
> become
> rancid and smell old. It won't hurt you to taste them, so I would let my
> smell and taste be my guide. I normally store them in the freezer.

I wonder if that's why I don't like poppy seeds. I associate poppy seeds
with a rancid flavor. Must've gotten a muffin made with old seeds once.
Chris

  • Re: Do poppy seeds go bad?
    ... open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5 ... It won't hurt you to taste them, ... smell and taste be my guide. ... Okay, okay, I take it back! ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Whats up wit Poppy seeds.???
    ... thangs they sell as poppy seeds today are wortless.!!! ... or you're getting stale poppy seeds. ... If you can't smell them, ... ability to taste. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Whats up wit Poppy seeds.???
    ... ]getting stale poppy seeds. ... ]can't smell them, ... ]your ability to taste. ... whare do you get you'r poppy seeds an what brand are they.!!! ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Do poppy seeds go bad?
    ... On Fri 20 Jan 2006 06:22:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chris? ... It won't hurt you to taste them, ... > I wonder if that's why I don't like poppy seeds. ... Okay, okay, I take it back! ...
    (rec.food.cooking)