Re: Important -- My Facebook account

JJ wrote:
Mary McHugh <emjaycem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've apparently been hacked. Ignore any messages from me that came
this afternoon.

Sorry.
Mary

That's a drag!! Why would you have been targetted I wonder? Is this
wide spread? Good luck.

The hackers aren't "targeting" anyone. They just use any account they can access to send out their spam. If you use the same username/login info on other websites and on Facebook, and someone hacks into the user database on one of those other sites, they will then try those login credentials on major networking sites like Facebook. This is one reason you want to be careful about using the same password in too many places, especially any place with a lot of users (spam targets). It's also critically important that you don't use the same password for your online banking *anywhere* else, or the same password you use to login to your email, or to login to your computer.

Yes, this means keeping track of a lot of passwords. The risks you run if you don't do this are high - your bank account could get cleared out, someone could hack into your email and spam everyone in your address book AND access your bank account and other accounts (by trying to "recover the lost password" at major sites), etc. Password security is very, very important.

jc

  • re: Brute-force and IIS/w2k logs
    ... This mail is probably spam. ... Content preview:> I've just reviewed a short range of security logs on ... > invalid login attempts. ... > way to capture the IP address of the source? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Wonderful Internet
    ... Just this week I've been told I've won at least 3 major lotteries, ... I'm always winning these things. ... Just got $20 mill which will soon be deposited in my bank account. ... I too get no spam at the moment, but around a year ago, I was getting something like 200 a day. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Offering a part-time job
    ... them their social security number, or bank account number, or credit ... gives a false, randomly chosen number for SS, Bank, Credit cards, etc. ... I do worry about the assaults on the wonderful free speech we have with email and the internet. ... You know of course why it's called spam? ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Looking to find a custom photo ball marker
    ... You posted SPAM forphotoball markers yesterday, ... It was really a simple question, not meant to be advertising or ... We did sent up a login called PhotoBallMarker and I will use it ... Ken Barley ...
    (rec.sport.golf)
  • Re: IMF Probleme
    ... Login per Outlook -> SPAM wird clientseitig in Junk-E-Mail Ordner verschoben ... Sie hat den SCL Wert 8, ...
    (microsoft.public.de.exchange)