the snitch law

2 to 20 years if this becomes law. The snitch law.

2005-May-31
The politicians want YOU -- to be a snitch (or go to jail)
Tell a friend about this campaign!
What's so bad about this bill (HR 1528)? After all, it's "for the
children?" Well, we especially like how the Drug Policy Alliance
explained this dangerous proposal...
YOU'VE BEEN DRAFTED
UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU FOR THE WAR ON DRUGS
Congressman Sensenbrenner's (R-Wis.) draconian mandatory minimum
sentencing bill will have serious consequences for our democracy,
requiring you to spy on all your neighbors, including going undercover
and wearing a wire if needed. Refusing to become a spy for the
government would be punishable by a mandatory prison sentence of at
least two years.
If you "witness" certain drug offenses taking place or "learn" that they
took place you would have to report the offense to law enforcement
within 24 hours and provide "full assistance" in the investigation,
apprehension, and prosecution of the people involved. Failure to do so
would be a crime punishable by a mandatory two year prison sentence.
Here are some examples of offenses you would have to report to the
police within 24 hours:
You see someone you know pass a joint to a 20-year old college student.
Your cousin mentions that he bought Ecstasy for some of his college
friends.
You find out that your brother, who has kids, recently bought a small
amount of marijuana to share with his wife.
Your substance-abusing daughter recently begged her boyfriend to find
her some drugs even though they're both in drug treatment.
Act now. Send Congress a message before it's too late.
Thank you.
Jim Babka
President
DownsizeDC.org
The Petition
Below is the text of the letter we will send on your behalf:
      Please oppose HR 1528, and especially its provisions for
compelling Americans to inform on their friends, family, and neighbors
under risk of prison time if they do not. Please also inform the
Chairpersons of the following House committees that you will not support
this legislation: the Subcommittee of the Judiciary Committee on Crime,
Terrorism and Homeland Security, and the Subcommittee on Health of the
Committee on Energy and Commerce.

© DownsizeDC.orgcomments@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Baja clinic known for unorthodox care closed
    ... Anti-Constitutional Activities and Abuse of Police Power by the ... U.S. Food and Drug Administration and other Federal Agencies ... Background to FDA Police-State Activities ... of law have been flagrantly violated and trampled into the dirt by the FDA ...
    (misc.health.alternative)
  • Re: OT....Cold medicine requires RX
    ... > Our govenor signed into law today, that all cold medicines with the ... > every person doing their part in this meth epidemic we are facing. ... Crystal Meth is an evil drug that has destroyed a lot of lives. ... methamphetamines labs in the United States along with stricter laws ...
    (alt.support.chronic-pain)
  • OT - All You Need to Know About the New York Times
    ... made companies and accounting firms more open to lawsuits from ... The groups are drafting proposals to provide ... The second committee was formed by the Harvard Law professor Hal S. ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
  • Re: Floridas Mandator Drug Testing of Welfare applicants
    ... Florida's new law requiring new welfare recipients to pass a drug ... recipients of welfare or other government assistance, ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)