Re: Which turning tools to go with?

Dan:

I think a bazillion of us here use the Woodcraft slow speed grinder
with the 60g wheel on the left, and the 120g wheel on the right. It is
a cheap, reliable grinder that comes with wheels that are probably
worth more than the grinder.

I used to think this was the only way to go. Slow speed grinder,
friable (white, pink, blue or green) wheels.

However, we have had some notable turners come to our little club, and
they can ably sharpen on anything that will turn a grinding wheel. A
collective gasp came up from our group when one of them showed up with
his own grinder, and it was a CHEAP 6" ($39 from Harbor Freight!) and
he has absolutely no problems with his sharpening.
It had one grey wheel, and one white wheel as he was too cheap to put
on a new white wheel until the old grey one was so small he was hollow
grinding everything he sharpened.

I swear, you could almost hear the sobs of the group as they thought of
how much they had spent on their sharpening setups.

I have a 36 grit pink wheel I got at WC that I use to reshape my
grinds. I burned my HSS tools with the 60g that was on it. Too fine a
wheel will burn your tools as it takes to long to remove the material.
I have different wheels from different sources, and I tend to use what
is on the grinder. However, the reason I think most use the WoodCraft
grinder is that they regularly have them on sale, and they area about
the price of two good wheels or one really great one, so if you get the
grinder in the deal (last sale they were something like $79) why not?

Until you get your sharpening technique perfected, don't hesitate to
build yourself a good stand and jig for your grinder. Different jigs
make different grinds, but a jig will help you with your repeatability
until you get the hang of things. Check these out:

http://tinyurl.com/9tmsj

http://tinyurl.com/9qygn

And don't miss this one for one of the most comprehensive discussions
on sharpening from a real expert:

http://tinyurl.com/ahlut

Good luck!

Robert

  • Re: Lathe Tool Sharpening?
    ... Been experimenting with sharpening bits by hand, but I no longer have the ... Trying to cut a compound angle in three dimensions isn't working for me. ... a better grinder would help... ... I bought a small two wheel grinder at a yard sale ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Continuing lathe chatter (from people now, not the lathe. :-)
    ... HF #46727 carbide tool grinder ... Do they *offer* a diamond wheel for that specific machine? ... I'm curious - why is carbide dust any worse than say HSS or stainless ... bar in a tool bit holder. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Continuing lathe chatter (from people now, not the lathe. :-)
    ... It's a knock-off of the Baldor carbide tool grinder. ... A grinder made to fit the wheel which you pointed me to does not ... I get from MSC a MSDS every time I buy a steel bar, ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Lathe tools
    ... If you are going with the jig, and the Wolverine system is great, high speed ... is the way to go with the grinder. ... Get a wheel dresser and keep the wheel clean. ... Sharpening becomes fast and easy. ...
    (rec.crafts.woodturning)
  • Re: Hum but no motion
    ... agree - wood dust from your lathe and sanding - you could try compressed air to blow the dust out first, that might work - if it doesn't, take it apart and burnish the contacts with 600 paper and reassemble. ... If it happens again, spin grinder fast by hand and turn on, it will probably then just spin up to speed. ... I turned on my smaller bench grinder which has a sharpening jig attached. ... I switched off and turned the wheel by hand. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)