Re: Proper Sanding Techniques

"billh" <NoMail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:CIomf.3407$PX2.392079@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Keith Young" <kyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> This may seem to be the dumbest question asked here for a long time. I'm
>> sanding an end turning for a lazy Susan!
>> Should the proper method be to sand ON or OFF the lathe. Also is the
>> proper sanding technique to apply just enough pressure and not to force
>> the sandpaper to the wood. I never seem to be able to get a silk smooth
>> finish, but then again maybe I'm in to much of a hurry. What would be the
>> minimum grit to get a decent finish for the beale buffing system. This
>> gift has to be mailed by Monday so I guess that I'm in to much of a
>> hurry.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated
>>

>> Keith
>> Newfoundland
>>

> I always sand on the lathe unless there is a problem area.
>
> Pressure should be "just enough" too much and you will overheat the
> turning, the paper and your fingers. If you have alternating end-grain and
> side grain as in a bowl then the paper cuts unevenly and by forcing it you
> can really make circles into ovals. (In time, even without forcing, the
> same thing happens too)
>
> I consider a minium grit for something I want to use the Beale system on
> to be 400.
>
> If you are going to get this done and mail it on Monday you are under the
> gun alright. I like to let my finishes cure as long as possible before
> buffing so they buff up rather than go somewhat gummy.
>
> Bill
========================
Keith,
Monday is a SHORT deadline, so you probably should consider lacquer for
finishing. Since it dries almost instantly, you can sand the wood to 400,
apply 2-3 coats, wet sand to 600-800; repeat, then buff. That'll use up a
good portion of your week end, but should be doable if you leave it to cure
in a warm room for 10-12 hours before buffing.

Good luck,

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

  • sanding help
    ... I never seem to be able to obtain a really perfect sand finish. ... Its wood I'm sanding not metal. ... Start sanding at the highest grit that will take out any tool marks etc. Don't start at 100 grit if 180 will do. ... If the shape of the turning allows it, I sometimes hand sand a little at this stage, cutting with the grain. ...
    (rec.crafts.woodturning)
  • Re: Again with the buffing
    ... I sand more to around 500 ... After sanding to 500 would be the point to start the buffing, ... First off I have to wonder why you would use Danish oil at ... As to the sanding I almost never go above 320 when the piece is going ...
    (rec.crafts.woodturning)
  • Re: Sanding and staining
    ... The first is that I am trying to sand off the ... I've done this on a guitar precisely once - sanding by hand. ... aniline stain will be happy with the epoxy. ... then applying the clear coat. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Transtar Clear Coat?
    ... I'm not familiar with the term "color sand".. ... grease remove the playfield you will be fine, ... color sanding is when you are sanding with fine sand paper sanding the ... will make it even smoother, the smoother you get it the easier it is ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • RE: Hard Drive data security
    ... grade sand paper as the last sanding, you can get the disks engraved for IT ... Paul, ... >> I have a question about hard drive data security. ...
    (Security-Basics)