Re: Proper Sanding Techniques

"billh" <NoMail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:CIomf.3407$PX2.392079@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Keith Young" <kyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> This may seem to be the dumbest question asked here for a long time. I'm
>> sanding an end turning for a lazy Susan!
>> Should the proper method be to sand ON or OFF the lathe. Also is the
>> proper sanding technique to apply just enough pressure and not to force
>> the sandpaper to the wood. I never seem to be able to get a silk smooth
>> finish, but then again maybe I'm in to much of a hurry. What would be the
>> minimum grit to get a decent finish for the beale buffing system. This
>> gift has to be mailed by Monday so I guess that I'm in to much of a
>> hurry.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated
>>

>> Keith
>> Newfoundland
>>

> I always sand on the lathe unless there is a problem area.
>
> Pressure should be "just enough" too much and you will overheat the
> turning, the paper and your fingers. If you have alternating end-grain and
> side grain as in a bowl then the paper cuts unevenly and by forcing it you
> can really make circles into ovals. (In time, even without forcing, the
> same thing happens too)
>
> I consider a minium grit for something I want to use the Beale system on
> to be 400.
>
> If you are going to get this done and mail it on Monday you are under the
> gun alright. I like to let my finishes cure as long as possible before
> buffing so they buff up rather than go somewhat gummy.
>
> Bill
========================
Keith,
Monday is a SHORT deadline, so you probably should consider lacquer for
finishing. Since it dries almost instantly, you can sand the wood to 400,
apply 2-3 coats, wet sand to 600-800; repeat, then buff. That'll use up a
good portion of your week end, but should be doable if you leave it to cure
in a warm room for 10-12 hours before buffing.

Good luck,

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

.