Re: Q's for the serger owners here

On Jul 29, 8:58 am, Kate XXXXXX <k...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 29/07/2010 12:29, AuntK wrote:

Hi all,
I'm entertaining purchasing a serger.  Not really sure why except that
I don't have one.  I'm pretty sure it will be of the used variety as I
don't want to spend a bunch of $$$ at this point for something I'm not
sure I'll use all that much.  I've been doing some looking on
craigslist and my local freecycle sites to no avail.  So I went to
ebay just for kicks&  giggles.  Noticed there are many differences of
which I am clueless.  There were anywhere from 3-5 threads and, of
course, the prices were all over the map.  I'll probably end up and my
local machine shop (which is pretty good) to see what they have used
but I wanted to go in armed with some info.  What value, if any, does
the greater number of threads have and is that what drives the price?
To get started, and anticipating doing smallish, not overly
complicated projects, do I need the greater number of threads, etc?
Even though I'm not being really clear here - I don't think - you
folks know what I'm trying to ask.  Can anyone give me some hints or
clues?  Tricks?

TIA
Kim in NJ

I have owned several in my time, and currently have two, a Brother 1034D
and a Bernins 1150MDA.  Both are superb at what they do, but different.
  The Bernina cost slightly more than twice what the Brother cost.

The Brother is a 3/4 thread serger.  It cuts as it sews, and wraps
thread round the cut edge, giving the ultimate neat edge.  It will sew
all sorts of fabrics and make a neat 3 thread rolled edge.  It will do
seams and edges with three or four threads.

The Bernina is a 2/3/4 thread serger, which means it will do very fine
seams, rolled edges and neatenings with 2 threads as well as 3 or 4
threads.  It will also cope with thicker and toughr fabrics and is a lot
quieter.  What it doesn't have is the free arm that the Brother has
(hence these two machines).

5 thread machines can do several different stitch options.  Typically,
they can take up to three needles, and do a chain stitched seam that is
separate from and in addition to the overlocked edge finish.  I've never
needed this facility, so never bothered with the extra expense.  The
same goes for those that do a cover stitch hem (as on T shirts).  I
don't do anything like enough to be bothered with a machine that does
this, and if I did, I'd buy a dedicated coverstitch machine as the
conversion from seams to coverstitch is usually a great pain...

The more threads, the more complex the machine and the greater the price
(and potential to go wrong!).

--
Kate  XXXXXX  R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttonshttp://www.katedicey.co.uk

Kate,
Thank you - exactly the type info I was looking for from a definite
expert!

Kim in NJ

  • Re: Qs for the serger owners here
    ... I'm entertaining purchasing a serger. ... I have owned several in my time, and currently have two, a Brother 1034D and a Bernins 1150MDA. ... The Bernina is a 2/3/4 thread serger, which means it will do very fine seams, rolled edges and neatenings with 2 threads as well as 3 or 4 threads. ... The same goes for those that do a cover stitch hem. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Qs for the serger owners here
    ... I just bought the Babylock Evolution 8 thread serger. ... Recently I purchased a Coverpro 1000cpx cover stitch machine, ... The trick with using either machine on curves or corners is, ... in a straight line only. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Machine Dealer Rant - long
    ... directions were just awful on this one and I could not, ... second-hand Brother 2100 serger. ... Bring the serger in, which is STILL the TOL Brother serger on their ... Now, she is a Brother dealer, and this is their TOL ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Machine Dealer Rant - long
    ... My Babylock is sooo easy to thread and then they give you a video to ... second-hand Brother 2100 serger. ... Bring the serger in, which is STILL the TOL Brother serger on their ... Now, she is a Brother dealer, and this is their TOL ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: t.v. sewing and quilting shows
    ... to buy a serger and the materials needed. ... since T-shirt fabrics don't ravel. ... Vertical seams in jersey tend to press themselves open. ... fits in one knit may look like a tent or a sausage skin in another, ...
    (alt.sewing)