Re: Oops! How to repair small hole in quilt top

In article <TKD4f.2490$4O1.2424@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Polly Esther" <misterclean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It might be that you can remove some threads from the edges to use for
> weaving in and out across the cut and mend it. However - that will always
> be a weak spot in your treasure. Would the appearance of the quilt be
> destroyed if, instead, you embroidered your initials on top of the cut? You
> could make them very tiny and use a thread that matched your fabric. Polly

Polly, that's *exactly* what I did when I accidentally cut my very first
quilt with a seam ripper. <G> I machine embroidered my initials over the
tear in matching thread, and it's hardly visible. If anyone does see
anything, they only see the intials, not the tear. :)

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

  • Re: Quilting Q. using Pressn Seal
    ... I used it on a white background and despite leaving it overnight got one or two tiny black spots on the thread/background resulting in more applique! ... Also, I tear off the outer pieces, where there are enclosed areas - the insides then come off cleanly. ... but is still easier than marking the quilt. ... quilting design on a square of it, and then finger press it to the ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Quilting Q. using Pressn Seal
    ... Also, I tear off the outer pieces, where there are enclosed areas - the insides then come off cleanly. ... but is still easier than marking the quilt. ... You can always try that ahead of time - or you could use an ironing cloth between the iron and the possible plastic? ... quilting design on a square of it, and then finger press it to the ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Quilting Q. using Pressn Seal
    ...  I didn't mind, because I don't mind ... What I do is to tear away large 'chunks' first. ... me anyway) than marking the quilt. ... quilting design on a square of it, and then finger press it to the ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Quilting Q. using Pressn Seal
    ... I see little reason to do any ironing after quilting. ... What I do is to tear away large 'chunks' first. ... I hold the quilt up to the light to ... and iron, but I don't know. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: On- and off-topic: Anyone want a puppy?
    ... I'm so, so sorry about the damage to your amazing, beautiful quilt! ... you look at it while mending will make it all the more difficult to do. ... PLEASE consider getting a crate and crate training the puppy. ... AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)