Re: hiring someone to quilt (long)

I wish there was some kind of consulting service that could draw up or tell
me what to quilt on my tops. I wouldn't mind tackling them on my own, but
I'd love to have ideas as to what to use to fill the spaces! I have several
tops "aging" while I await inspiration for quilting. And there are several
I'd like to have done by January! Oh dear! It's not that far away is it???

"Kathy Applebaum" <KathyA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Here's a long rambling reply. Remember that I'm coming from the side of
> someone who does this for a living, so take my response with as many
> grains of salt as you like. *grin* While I do longarm quilting, I bet
> that most of these same factors apply to hand quilters, also.
>
> First, think long and hard about the style of quilting you want. Do you
> want something very detailed and custom? Do you like overall patterns? Do
> you want the work to be completely freehand, or do you prefer very regular
> patterns (pantographs). Do you want lots of quilting or very sparse?
> There's no right and wrong answers to these questions, but it's very
> important to think about them, because if the quilter's style doesn't
> match your expectations, you won't be happy. For example, if someone came
> to me and asked for a pantograph, I'd turn them down. That's not what I do
> best, and neither of us will be happy with the results. Discuss the style
> you're looking for with the quilter when you first call to set up an
> appointment, because there's no point in wasting either of your time if
> things aren't going to work out.
>
> Make sure you see examples of the quilter's work, and make sure you see
> examples in the type of quilting you're looking for. They may be the
> cheapest and the fastest, but if you don't like the quilting, you aren't
> going to be happy even if it's free.
>
> Experience is iffy. I've seen some quilters who have been quilting for
> only a few months who do STUNNING work. And I've seen some quilters who
> have been quilting for 20 years who do pretty lousy work. Experience
> helps, but only if the quilter is willing to learn from it. Again, those
> samples of the work will tell you more than how many years they've been
> doing it, or how many quilts they've done, IM(NS)HO
>
> I always tell people that you need to decide which is most important:
> price, quality, or turnaround time. You'll usually get one of the three.
> If you're lucky, you can get two of the three. You almost never get all
> three. It only makes sense -- if someone had a low price and great quality
> work, all the piecers would be bringing their quilts there, and they'd be
> booked out for months. That's not to say that you shouldn't be thinking
> about your budget. Every professional quilter should feel comfortable
> discussing that with you, and suggesting ways to get the look you want
> while keeping in your budget.
>
> Also look long and hard about how much input you want in the creative
> process when it comes to the quilting. Some quilters welcome the customer
> doing all the creative stuff, and some quilters go crazy when that
> happens. Again, best to discuss this before you leave your quilt top than
> to be frustrated later on.
>
> Hope that helped a bit!
>
> --
> Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
> Queen of Fabric Tramps
> http://www.kayneyquilting.com , mailto:KathyA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> [...]

  • Re: What are your current quilting projects?
    ... Have several tops which need to be quilted. ... Seems the friend's sister started the work on this kit quilt about the time she was diagnosed with cancer. ... Recently it was found, and the mother of the maker tried to do a bit of the quilting on it, but decided that it needed to be done by someone who knows more about quilting. ... Some generous quilters from RCTQ Land have sent lovely pink fabric to enrich the quilt. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: newbie
    ... There are several methods of quilting as you go. ... individual blocks or sections of a quilt can be ... the quilting was done across strips of blocks that were sewn together. ... as quilters tend to be so innovative. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Distance between machine-quilted rows?
    ... When you are ready to have your quilts juried into the Paducah or Houston shows then you can get out your rulers and calculators for the quilting, ... It's amazing to have such prompt and free access to expert quilters as this group provides. ... If one area is heavily/closely quilted and other areas aren't quilted as heavily you can have some serious issues with the quilt not laying flat. ... I can choose the right threads for each panel and "tree." ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Some people just have the touch.
    ... Oh I hope I didn't start a thread to bash Sharon. ... a whole lot to the quilting community. ... One of the reasons I don't attend the Big Quilt Shows every year, ... quilters show up over & over again. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: delurking: what Ive gotten from rctq (LONG)
    ... There seem to be a lot of bay area quilters here on rctq. ... And a place to do just a LITTLE beading or hand applique. ... Or maybe I should take a BOM at a local quilting store instead and have the in-person social aspect to it. ... This news group is also inspiring me to finish some of my quilt ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)