Re: Homemade propane nozzle?

it dawned on me Bill that you're thinking of a propane bottle torch,
like that used in brazing pipes, when potters think of propane torches
are those used for raku kilns or main kilns in general.

intriguing idea of using those small torches in a small kiln! i bet
that can be made to work well for small items. hot hot do you fire? a
typical propane brazing torch might actually last in your size kiln.

that kiln would surly be under your budget price of $200 or so. i've
seen kilns in the local penny saver newspaper for around that price.
bigger ones that might actually be too big for what you're doing.

see ya

steve

Bill DeWitt wrote:
Err... substitute "venturi" for "Bernoulli"

BTW, I did just find one interesting page,
<http://www.combust.com.au/catalog/detail/burners/burners.htm>

"Bill DeWitt" <bill.jewitt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Richard Kaszeta" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote :

I must ask, however, why?

Thanks for your response, Richard.

As I am working with a ridiculously small 2 in. sq. (8 cu in) kiln, I
was thinking about more evenly distributing the output of a propane torch
by
having the four corners of the floor drilled for small nozzles. Unless I
have some knowledge about the actual science of nozzle design though, I
can't see creating anything efficient enough to warrant the effort. Unless
know what I am doing, it would be easier to just add a second torch at
cross
purposes.

For instance, I found a reference that implies that the traditional
bend
in a propane torch is there for a reason other than making the flame angle
adjustable. The article did not state so, but I suspect that it more fully
mixes the air/propane flow before it hits the expansion chamber. I could
accomplish that with an offset Bernoulli type air port, or even an
adjustable set screw-like protruding perturbance if I knew for sure that
was
the reason.

I'll be pestering Google for the next few hours but if someone reading
this knows a little more than I do, some hints about accurate search terms
or even a link for actual nozzle design would be a blessing.

  • Re: gas torch for propane question
    ... cutting torch is a bit big and unwieldy. ... I could use his type 5 oxy acetylene welding torch with propane - I was ... I appreciate that you can't weld with oxy propane - I bought it for brazing. ...
    (sci.engr.joining.welding)
  • Re: "good" propane/mapp torch
    ... cut it off where the burner (torch) connects. ... the other end of which connects to the control assembly from a propane camp ... burner of the camp stove. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Need recommendations for Newbie Lampwork setup....
    ... A small versatile surface mix torch, ... This torch can accommodate flame sizes from approximately 1/8" to 3/4" diameter and can be used with natural gas, propane or hydrogen. ... The Minor Burner is also an ideal torch for working with soft glass. ... I don't remember chemical equation for the propane to O2 mix, but my propane tank is way much bigger than several O2 bottles. ...
    (rec.crafts.glass)
  • Re: Hand held propane torch exploded in my neighborhood
    ... that it was a gas torch exploding. ... Propane in a cylinder cannot explode, ... Plumber puts propane torch in tool box. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Buying a prop-ox torch setup
    ... Midget and why he likes it (bigger output/ more versatile than Smith ... Bigger than the Little torch, ... the typical small aperture of jewelers, one is a rosette. ... single-stage propane regulator, it will total out to about $360. ...
    (rec.crafts.jewelry)