Re: A day with a Chinese engineer

Don Foreman <dforeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Both the Chinese engineer (doctorial candidate) and this maintenance tech was pretty darn
happy understanding something yesterday. He seeing it for the first time and me seeing
them for years but never really understanding the finer points.

Wes

How good of you to convey as much of our technological expertise as
possible to your Chinese doctoral candidate colleague.

I saw patents going back to 1928 or so on that technology. I didn't look at the Great
Britain ones I saw reference to.

As it was, we both walked away knowing something neither of us fully understood at the
beginning, I figure that was an even trade. My typical day is not particularly
challenging, after almost a decade working here I have a pretty good grip on things and
most of what I run into is more a matter of memory rather than problem solving skills.
Actually having something to ponder and seek an answer to and then try to understand the
answer made for a rewarding day for me personally.

I'm also tending to believe your comment was tongue-in-cheek and yes, I am concerned about
transferring advanced technology to China. I have a feeling Boeing is cutting their own
throat and I'm sure a number of other companies are doing the same.

I work for a multi-national non-defense company and we have facilities all over the world.
I'm hope visiting America and meeting people that treat him civilly will pay off in time.
At the very least, my employer expects me to treat him like any other employee.

Wes

  • Re: Whither Trek?
    ... Hull plating is just making ... in the space of an episode because the technology existed that let him ... its episode elements together from stuff that we've already seen. ... together for the first time. ...
    (rec.arts.startrek.tech)
  • Re: Chez Watt : it aint sophisticated like goat herding.
    ... erroneously interpret the Bible as a historical account of the ... art and literature (to the extent that I wouldn't consider a person ... What I'm not understanding is how basing ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Global Warming -- Follow the Money!!
    ... unlimited money and time is required to solve it. ... Solar cell technology, biofuels etc. ... "scientists" engaged in it are well aware of this fact. ... Because you apparently have understanding how very difficult it is to ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: Barack Obama Pits Space Explorers Against School Children
    ... There is a vast wave of terrorism across ... Nothing like this ever happened under Saddam. ... AI is the technology of the 21st century. ... since no AI was involved the first time. ...
    (sci.space.policy)
  • Re: VHS VCR Question
    ... experience of listening to a piece of music should ideally be just about ... Fiddling about with the technology just gets ... I can still remember my first experience of ... and realising that for the first time in my life this had ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)