Re: Starting capacitor sizing

I trust you are correct, Bill. Perhaps a better choice for a word to replace (the) *purpose*, would be (the) advantage
.... of the capacitor in the motor's starting circuit is to increase torque during startup

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Bill Noble" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:h2r4ug$qqv$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aaah, this is partially correct, but the way to look at it is that the capacitor, along with the start winding provides a phase shift to act "kind of" like a 3 phase motor - so you can get the rotating magnetic field rather than just a 180 deg back/forth magnetic field which will just make the motor buzz -

so, you want whatever value gets you about 60 deg phase shift so you can get the rotation of the field