Mig Gas vs. Gasless wire speed

I own a lincoln weld pak 155 and have been using it moslty with flux
core wire and no gas. I have become pretty good at making nice looking
welds, and selecting the proper current and wire speeds for different
thickness of materials.

I also have a CO2/Argon bottle and occasionally will weld with the gas.
My welds don't come out as nice when I use the gas but I think it is
because of lack of experience.

One question I had was when welding lets say 1/8" material, when I am
using gasless, I set the current setting to C, (range of A-E) and the
wire speed to 2.5 (range 1 - 10). This make perfect welds and I can
really controlt he weld puddle.

When I use gas for the 1/8" material it recommends using E at a speed
of 10. Not sure why it needs the wire to feed so fast. I find that at
these settings, my welds are pretty fat, and have a lot of material on
the metal I am welding. I can not seem to control the puddle very
well, and I have to move very fast. I tried lowering the wire speed,
but it didn't sound right when welding. It really needs that fast wire
speed.

Also, I noticed with the gas welding at those settings, I produce a lot
more splatter, and really large splatter balls that are very difficult
to remove. I pretty much have to grind them off. With the gasless
welding, the splatter is less, and easier to remove. I think it is
because I am using a wire speed of 2.5 with gasless and 10 with the
gas.

I have read a bunch of threads talking about gas vs. gasless, and
everyone seems to think that gas welding is cheaper. Well if I am
welding 1/16 to 1/8" material, I am using up my solid wire 4 times
faster than my flux core wire. And I know solid wire is not 4 times
less expensive.

Is their anything different I can try to get a little more control, and
less material desposited onto my welds using gas? And is their
anything I can do to minimize the splatter?

Thansk.

  • Re: Mig Gas vs. Gasless wire speed
    ... core wire and no gas. ... and selecting the proper current and wire speeds for different ... I also have a CO2/Argon bottle and occasionally will weld with the gas. ... My welds don't come out as nice when I use the gas but I think it is ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Ping: Scotty
    ... especially if using inert gas as opposed to flux cored wire. ... I agree that in welding mild steel, wire feed is much easier than ... During metal shop, I was introduced to gas welding. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Mig Gas vs. Gasless wire speed
    ... between gas and gasless welding. ... The gas solenoid is working fine too. ... I am using flux core .035 wire for gasless, ... The gas welds definitely look nicer. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: I am not getting a puddle or penetration with my MIG!
    ... You need to reverse the polarity for gas operation. ... as the Gas wire was thinner than the Gas-less and I assumed that I ... But I hadn't actually tested the quality of the welds. ... turn on the CO2 and was immediately impresses as to how much deeper I ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Procedure for welding on natural gas pipeline?
    ... I've watched a gas crew do this on a 4" steel pipe to make a stub that is fitted with a valve and adapter to plastic pipe. ... It even comes with a nifty fitting to allow the operator to run a hole saw into the live pipe, pull the saw back, seal it off, disconnect the hole saw assembly and start in on welding the stub. ... The attachment welds are typically fillet welds connecting the special ...
    (sci.engr.joining.welding)