Re: Finally wrote-up my "How to Design Parts" section...

According to James Waldby <j-waldby@xxxxxxxx>:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
According to <jhko@xxxxxxx>:

[ ... ]

They displayed well using Opera in a unix system, but a trial
saving of a file resulted in a very awkward file name for a unix system.
For example a file with a name like this:

price quant graph (461 x 350).jpg

has to be referenced from the command line bu prefixing every special
character (spaces and parens in this case) with a backslash -- *every*
time it is typed:

price\ quant\ graph\ \(461\ x\ 350\).jpg

bash automatically fills in the \ characters on tab completion;
for example, if I have no other files beginning with pri in a
directory with a file "price quant graph (461 x 350).jpg" and
press p,r,i,tab, it automatically completes the file name to
price\ quant\ graph\ \(461\ x\ 350\).jpg. Or if I type ",p,r,i,
tab, it completes it to "price quant graph (461 x 350).jpg".
csh and ksh also do file name completion, AIUI.

Well ... tcsh certainly does. ksh did not back when I used it,
but it may do so now. But sh, and plain csh do not -- though many
machines are offering csh simply as a link to tcsh.

O.K. Trying to *create* such a file, I tried

touch junque\ with\ space\ and\ (parens)

and only got:

junque\ with\ space

as the actual filename. I had to switch to the double quotes to create
the full name.

Of course, the tab expansion *did* work for referencing the file
(with tcsh) once it existed -- as it did with the original problem file.

And -- csu (on a Sun Solaris 10 system) does *no* tab filename
expansion, so it is probably that you have experienced it with a csh
which is really another link to tcsh.

But bear in mind that the usual cleanup scripts run out of
crontab are plain /bin/sh, which also has no tab expansion -- as well as
nobody to *hit* tab in the middle of the night when they are run from
crontab. Thus it is a good idea to keep filenames which will not crate
problems. An example of one which would be seriously bad would be one
such as follows:

This filename will create problems\nrm -rf /

if a shell script tries to remove it from a /tmp/directory or the like
in the middle of the night. I don't think that I need tell you why it
would be so bad. :-)

[snip]
I am interested to learn, however, that the filenames create
problems for the browser *viewing* the images. I didn't think to check
what the OS was (from the headers of the posting.)

Jim's post has "NNTP-Posting-Host: p-759.newsdawg.com" and

I'm not familiar with Direct Read News so I don't know if it runs
under Windows. http://www.newsreaders.com/web/software.html
lists it under Unix/Linux - "... Available in Intel/Linux, Intel/BSD
and SPARC/Solaris versions."

Hmm ... I *think* that I've seen it mentioned casually in the
newsguy.general newsgroups and I believe that it may be the software
which they offer pre-compiled to Windows based users.

For most web browsing, I use Netscape 4.8 with no ads, cookies, java, or
javascript. It runs a lot faster on my Linux machines than do Firefox
and SeaMonkey, which I use when cookies or javascript are required, or
if picture names have blanks in them :( With Firefox and SeaMonkey,
the ad sections of pages pop up a second or two before the rest of the
page - I have a conspiracy theory about that -

On Solaris 10 on Sun Ultra-2 machines, Opera runs faster than
Mozilla, and something as old as Netscape 4.8 probably would not run at
full 64-bit speed on Solaris 10. It also has some nice features, and I
live with the compiled-in ad which I get in lieu of paying for the
add-free version. And -- it is easy to turn java, javascript, cookies,
and other things on and off as needed. Firefox is a royal pain to
compile on Solaris, since it wants an amazing alphabet soup of
libraries, which I *also* have to download and compile before I can
compile the browser. :-) And sometimes, they require versions of libs
which are sufficiently changed so they break other programs which are
already present.

Maybe I can find a pre-compiled statically linked one next time I check
out the pages. Last time, Solaris 10 was too new.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <dnichols@xxxxxxxxxxx> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564