Re: kind of. Sod cutter plans or drawings?

On Thu, 18 May 2006 17:52:48 -0500, Greg O <goo1959spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Years back a neighbor built one out of a 2x12, and a "U" shaped blade he
made. The legs of the blade were around 5" tall, with the lower part of the
"U" as wide as the 2x12. He had a bracket bolted on front that he attached a
chain and pilled it with his tractor. Angle the blade down slightly so it
wants to stay in the ground. Add some ballast, like a large Scandinavian
woman to stand on the cutter.

Will a short German woman do? I'd probably get in trouble if I were to
recruit someone else...

Dig a small trench, drop in the cutter, and
pull! I question if your lawn tractor will have the traction needed to pull
a cutter like this. My neighbor had a small Ford tractor he used, (Ford
"N"?)

That's my concern now, but I have weights and chains. So angling the
blade, and ballast, handles the keeping the depth about consistant then?
Good to hear.

Commercial sod cutters have blades that vibrates, or reciprocate to ease the
cutting process. the machine gets pretty complicated!

I guess I'd rather have something that's usable and always around, than
something expensive and rented.

  • Re: borrowing and lending
    ... What you describe sounds more like a multi blade ... rotary mower than a brush hog. ... there is no way a brush hog is going ... tractor originally. ...
    (misc.rural)
  • Re: access to underside of lawn tractor??
    ... It really depends on the tractor, ... Once removed the deck ... sounds like removing the deck and turning it over to inspect the blades ... short blade that is definitely not horizontal. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: pto safety - was: borrowing and lending
    ... tractor originally. ... If the brush hog blade is free wheeling no energy is being supplied by ... The rest of the mechanical parts rob energy... ... the pto is linked directly to the drive train of the transmission. ...
    (misc.rural)
  • Re: borrowing and lending
    ... momentum of a brush hog can drive a tractor, and a brush hog shaft can't ... impel it (brush hogs cut because blade tip speed is high, ... If your tractor uses a hand clutch to ...
    (misc.rural)
  • Re: borrowing and lending
    ... momentum of a brush hog can drive a tractor, and a brush hog shaft can't ... Most all their ballast is located near the center of the drive shaft, not at the business end of the blade, so that centrifigal force generated is minimal, not nearly enough to rotate all the way back through the tractor's transmission in order to impel it. ... When the brush hog stops being powered with the blade still being connected to the tractor drive train it stops within one rotation, and if the brush hog is not linked to the tractor drive train then how pray tell will it move the tractor even if it's rotating a million miles a second, you can't have it both ways. ... Regardless of the possible need for a size adapter unless your tractor has a "live" or "independent" PTO you will definitely need an "over-running clutch" attachment. ...
    (misc.rural)