Re: Tool Terms

According to <Searcher7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Ok. So the rings serve to lock the collets into the blocks, which are
held by the vise. I just have to figure out what size of 2 Flute end
mills I'll need and how best to "chuck" them.(I'll have to also search
for some 1/4" ball-end mills while I'm at it).

I'll try it again.. These 5C collets holding the work can be mounted in
the chuck or in the spindle with the tool at the conventional location
of the tool post.

I thought that I had posted something in response to the
previous one -- but I can't find it in the thread map now, so I guess
that it got lost somehow.

Anyway -- the 5C collets *cannot* be mounted in *your* lathe's
spindle. It is too small. You need at least a 1-3/8" bore through the
spindle to accept a 5C collet and drawbar. And -- you could never get a
properly sized machine for that up your stairs. So -- you will need to
use smaller collets in your spindle -- or get a Bison collet chuck head
to put the collets in place of a chuck on the end of your spindle.

Or I can use the collets(holding the work) inside collet blocks located
in the milling attachment with the tool in the chuck or preferrably in
an end mill holder in the spindle instead.

With the tool in an end-mill holder -- *not* in the chuck --
whether it is a lathe chuck or a drill chuck.

You can clamp the workpiece in a collet in the square block,
clamp the block in the vise on the milling attachment. and mill a flat
on the workpiece. You then loosen the vise, rotate the collet block one
flat, and mill the next flat. Repeat until you have all four sides.

Are there five sided collets?(Everything seems to jump from four to

Ok. Now I know there are no 5 sided 5C collets.

And do you know *why*? That was part of what I had typed, and
apparently lost somehow.

The hexagonal block can be used to make hexagonal shapes (e.g.
bolt heads or nuts), or three-sided shapes. In the same way, the square
one can be used to make a simple pair of flats, instead of a square, if
that is what is needed.

I went with square because I assume it would be easier to make a square
hole in a Delrin disk to allow it to fit over/on a square rod.

This is one of the things which you *need* the MSC catalog for.
You could look it up in the index, and turn to the proper page, to at
least see what the blocks look like. That is page 1565 in the current
"Big Book". The previous page shows individual collets in the 5C size
(the ones which fit the blocks), which have hex or square holes to hold
workpieces of that shape. You have to step back to page 1562 to find
round collets, with differing prices for different grades of collets.
The "Import ones should suffice for this type of operation, at least.
The 7/16" one goes for $8.45, as do all of the other sizes in that

I would have bid over $100 for these but at the time I didn't know if
it was the round 5C collets that I needed:

All the 5C collets are round on the outside. There are ones
with holes to hold hexagonal or square workpieces -- but your workpieces
are round, and you are trying to make a square on the one, IIRC.

An indexing head is more often used on a milling machine than a
lathe. Most are too big for your lathe, even in milling machine mode,
though some small ones could be adapted.

I'll have to search for the smallest one I can find and see what is

There are several styles. An alternative name to look under is
"dividing head".

Yes. In the Grizzly catalog I have there is one, and also indexing
rotary tables and chucks. BTW. There is a 3" rotary table(H6195) that
has a profile of 1.670".(But it doesn't index). :-(

It -- *could* -- if there are provisions for plates of holes to
use in indexing. Some rotary tables have that feature, some don't.

It would be nice to have some sort of low profile, H/V 90 degree
tilting, indexing rotary table(with small vice or chuck-like jaws at
the perimeter) mounted to the compound slide that would have the
ability to extend the cross feed travel to at least half of the swing
so one can easily drill or mill opposite sides of a 7" diameter work
piece. :-)

This sounds like something which you will have to *make*. And,
I think that you will need bigger machines to make it.

Actually, a power-feeding assembly option to replace the tailstock
might work better than if put on the compound slide.(But that would be
some major modification). :-)

Some lathes, such as my 12x24" Clausing, have power cross-feed.
And of course, the compound has power axial feed (along the bed), which
can be used for some operations other than turning. I particular, the
Myford lathes tend to have multiple T-slots along the length of the
cross-slide, for mounting workpieces or special tooling directly to the
cross-slide. But -- Myfords are from the UK, are quite expensive, and
probably too heavy to get up your stairs (though maybe close).

All of this would entail drilling *from* the head stock. I haven't read
anything about that, so I hope that is plausible.

You mean running the drill bit in a holder in the spindle, and
moving the workpiece towards it? This is done on the cross-slide T
slots (on the Myfords and other machines with that capability), or with
a crotch holder in the tailstock to crank the hand-held workpiece into
the rotating drill bit.

Since I'm still a newbie(who hasn't even taken the lathe out of the box
yet) I'll have plenty of time before I get to all that. :-)

Take it out *now* and start using it. It will help you answer
some of your questions, and refine others before you ask them.

[ ... ]

The lot which is supposed to include a "Starrett micrometer"
does not appear to have one -- though I see an old Starrett "speed
indicator", which is no practical use to you.

[ ... ]

Actually I asked and he said that he would actually prefer in-person

Leave him to the old tool collectors, who seem to be his target

He's located in "Little Italy". It's been some years but I should
explore that area again. I knew of a couple of machine shops as well as
a place that sold(and cut) scrap metals.(The seller probably work/s at
one of those places).

As it turns out he is a she. I won a little something and will swing by
there to pick it up.

Explain to her that what she appears to be calling "Starrett
Micrometers" are in reality Starrett "speed indicators".


Email: <dnichols@xxxxxxxxxxx> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---