Re: to bend a Thin pipe

Towards the end of the 'factory tour' here

http://www.zacharymusic.com/Zachary_Music/ZTR900Factory.htm

there is reference to bending brass tubing after filling with either pitch
or a frozen water/soap mix, to support the tube while it is being bent.
Also some interesting pictures of metal spinning in progress

Don Valentine

"Larry Jaques" <novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com> wrote in message
> On 5 Dec 2005 08:24:42 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, jim rozen
> <jim_member@xxxxxxxxxxx> quickly quoth:
>
>>If water, freeze the water with liquid nitrogen before bending.
>>
>>Do a test on a sample first, the expansion may crack the tubing at
>>that size.
>
> Jim, you're the first person I've ever heard who has ever suggested
> freezing metal (freezing the water freezes the metal) before bending
> it. Can you explain how this would work? Most things tend to get VERY
> brittle at freezing and sub-zero temps.
>
> "Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

  • Re: Bending Koa
    ... That is a good thickness. ... Use water sparingly and wrap the koa in either ... aluminum foil or parchment baking paper prior to bending to help reduce the ... I usually spritz the sides with a spray bottle of DISTILLED water when I ...
    (rec.music.makers.builders)
  • Re: to bend a Thin pipe
    ... >If water, freeze the water with liquid nitrogen before bending. ... >Do a test on a sample first, the expansion may crack the tubing at ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Is "malfunctioning" absolute or relative?
    ... stick" immersed in a glass of water is real. ... bending of the stick is a misinterpretation of what we see in the real ... bending of light rays from the scene. ... but neither would I use it for the length contraction and ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)