Re: Need help on overheating problem and how to fix it (OMC Cobra)

In article
<1124129144.937308.196290@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
melandre@xxxxxxxxx says...
> Hello, I have an older 1990 Bayliner with an I/O OMC Cobra 2.3L.

I don't consider myself an expert, but have the same drive
and may have some ideas.

> Problem: Over the last few weekends, the temperature goes way up when
> I start the boat (in the 200 to 250 range) and after a random amount of
> time (usually 1 to 4 minutes), it suddenly drops back to its normal
> range (around 125-150).

I concur it may be a thermostat, BUT, it could also be the
impeller (on the stern drive). If the boat has ever been
run with the drive out of the water (or without a STRONG
flow from a flush tool) for 15 seconds or more, I'd suggest
the impeller melted down.

It's easy enough to check, either in or out of the water (if
out, be sure to use a flushing tool with a strong flow of
water).

Remove the sloped cover on the top/rear of the stern drive
(3 bolts). The round "cup" you will see near the top with a
small hose coming out of it is the impeller cover. Make
sure you have cooling water present and fire up the engine.
There should be NO water escaping from the area of the
impeller cover. If there is, you've melted down the
impeller. The cover is easily removed by taking out the
three obvious bolts.

Buy a complete rebuild kit INCLUDING the cover, replace it,
and be done with it.

> 1) Drain the engine block and exhaust manifold. (Do they mean the water
> only? Can I do this with the boat in the water?)

Yes, Yes. Look for small diameter clear, yellowish hoses on
the starter side of the engine. Follow them up to the drain
valves.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

  • Re: 300m 3.5L engine: How much coolant is left in engine after replacing hoses and pump?
    ... engine in a 300m, how much coolant would still be left in the engine? ... If you drain it by removing the hoses, without removing block plugs and blowing out what you can with air, you'll probably have about half that left in it. ... As a DIY'er, I always flush it by pouring a couple gallons of distilled water thru the system - that way, the remaining is close to being just water - then put the hoses back on and put in 1/2 the system capacity of antifreeze - top off with distilled if needed - guaranteed close to 50/50 mixture. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)
  • Re: ques about winterizing an in/out board motor
    ... Most people simply drain the block and do not add antifreeze. ... this often will be going to a water exchange power steering fluid cooler. ... look like a big tank somewhere on the front of the engine. ... freezing temps have the outboard tilted up, ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Cannot See the Telltail Water Stream from the Motor
    ... me to check that the key-pin and the impeller are bonded together well. ... When I lifted up the water pump housing to check the impeller, ... the motor to winterize it. ... Should I expect to see the telltail water stream coming out from the ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Speedcoach Calibration Values
    ... practicality of mounting the impeller 5 -6 m from the bow for all ... "Clean" water, meaning only little interference with boundary layer ... all shells ... Any flowing stream will have an approximately parabolic velocity profile, from nearly zero at the bank to maximum at the centre (assuming a straight section of river). ...
    (rec.sport.rowing)
  • Re: ques about winterizing an in/out board motor
    ... blocks have a drain plug at the lowest point in them. ... this often will be going to a water exchange power steering fluid cooler. ... look like a big tank somewhere on the front of the engine. ... freezing temps have the outboard tilted up, ...
    (rec.boats)