Re: St Croix ME

It's easiest to get a map for this river.
The first class III section (Little Falls) can easily be handled most
canoeist, pull off to the left (Canadian side) to scout or for the
short portage ( +/- 300 ft).

We took out after a 2 day trip at Loone Bay on the Canadian side. There
is a public launch/takeout spot there and had now problems with vehicle
security. Loone Bay was about 4-5 hrs from Little Falls steady
paddling.

Shuttle service is available, not sure of the price but think it's less
than $100 if not only $50.

Jamie

surfunbear@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Can any one tell me about this river:

where can I park a car in Vancboro or at the lake 2 days down the river
?
Is it pretty safe in the area ?

Would it be feasable to leave a mountain bike at one end or use a
mountain bike to shuttle myself down the road along the river ? How is
the road if it rains. I am concerned it could be too muddy in that case
? Otherwise how can I get an affordable shuttle ? I am not working
currently and I seem to recall paying something close to $200 for this
kind of thing.

What are the rapids like if there's been allot of rain, do the wash out
or become class III/IV ?
My book is at home, and I am not there.

I am considering this run this late summer fall if I can arrange it,
but have never done it. I have done Penobscot east branch and some
rivers in Quebec ..

  • Re: St Croix ME
    ... The first class III section can easily be handled most ... We took out after a 2 day trip at Loone Bay on the Canadian side. ... Shuttle service is available, not sure of the price but think it's less ... where can I park a car in Vancboro or at the lake 2 days down the river ...
    (rec.boats.paddle)
  • Re: Why Does Monte Carlo Exist?
    ... pool (with a river). ... It doesn't get alot of publicity, but it's a first class joint, IMHO. ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)
  • May 2011 Global Weather Highlights
    ... Canada snowmelt and heavy rains created incredible ... flooding along the Assiniboine River. ... divert water from the river into Lake Manitoba along a spillway. ... by rapid snowmelt and heavy rains across the Upper Mississippi River ...
    (sci.geo.meteorology)
  • Re: St Croix ME
    ... Can any one tell me about this river: ... Is it pretty safe in the area? ... I would hire a shuttle driver who will store you car for you and drop it off ... Croix trip starts in Vanceboro ...
    (rec.boats.paddle)
  • Re: overreaction about knives
    ... The only viable alternative price-wise but not everyone wants a river of ... cold water down the back of the neck every time it rains or to be colder ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)