Re: Why do Hawks call out?

Bob M wrote:
> When I am hiking I often hear the distinctive sound of the Red Tailed Hawk,
> and if I look up, I can usually see one or 2 of them gliding about at a high
> altitude, apparently hunting. It puzzles me why they don't keep quiet when
> they are trying to catch some unsuspecting animal or bird. It seems that it
> would not take long for their prey to associate that sound with something bad
> about to happen.

Red-tailed Hawks speak hawkish to communicate with other hawks, they
never try to learn rodentish, since they don't want to have meaningful
communication with their food supply...

That "screeeam!" you hear is the territorial cry. It means, "Get out of
my sky, you Red-tailed invader!" I've seen Red-tailed Hawks try to
drive Golden Eagles out of their sky, too, as White-tailed Kites tried
to drive the Red-tails away.

And I could see ground squirrels standing around on the piles of dirt
next to their burrow entrances and they were still going "squeak-uh!",
warning the other squirrels that they were the alpha male dominant
rodent of that pasture.
If they were concerned about the raptors, it didn't show...

Younger hawks will "yelp" continuously for their parents, and courting
hawks will make a softer chuckling, cooing sound to their potential
mate.

Each species that can make a sound generally makes that sound to
communicate with others of its own species. One can hear many calls of
different birds in the forest trees and it's unlikely that any bird is
concerned that it might be
driving its prey away.

.