Updating a classic Schwinn Voyageur SP

Hello,
I've got a classic, circa 1982 Schwinn Voyageur SP touring bike
with about 70K miles on it. It has been my trusty daily commuter, and
touring bike since I bought it new way back when. It has 120mm rear
drop-out spacing and 27" wheels. I'd like to bring it up to date so
that I can shop for parts in more bike shops than just Recycle Cycles
(nothing against Recycle Cycles).

I know I can cold-set and realign the rear dropouts but I was
wondering about whether I can replace my 27" wheels with 700C wheels
and have the brakes still align with the rim. I want to move up to
linear pull brakes instead of the calipers I have now. I tried a 700C
wheel on the bike and it looks like the rim is about 1/4" shorter on
the radius, so my brake pads overlap the edge of the rim by that
amount. Any suggestions?

Arnie

  • Re: Crossbike for touring
    ... Something beefier than a 'touring bike'. ... aren't any better than LP brakes. ... dinged rim. ... That might be of value when riding in East Bugphuck, ...
    (rec.bicycles.misc)
  • Re: Versatile folding bikes: request for honest and trusted opinions
    ... An S&S retrofit would be great, but you have to find a cromoly steel, 26" touring, hybrid or mountain bike with round tubes, as the couplers don't work with the weaker aluminum frames, and such steel bicycles are very expensive. ... A retrofit of the 54cm or less Surly Long Haul Trucker Complete is probably the cheapest way to get an S&S equipped touring bike with 26" wheels. ...
    (rec.bicycles.misc)
  • Re: Updating a classic Schwinn Voyageur SP
    ... circa 1982 Schwinn Voyageur SP touring bike ... drop-out spacing and 27" wheels. ... The cheapest way out is to make some adapters to lower the brake calipers. ...
    (rec.bicycles.misc)
  • First Time Building Wheels Advice :)
    ... I am looking for advice on how would you recommend I should approach building a set of new wheels for my touring bike? ...
    (rec.bicycles.misc)
  • Re: First Time Building Wheels Advice :)
    ... > I am looking for advice on how would you recommend I should approach ... > building a set of new wheels for my touring bike? ... > wheels on the bike with mixed results. ... running perfectly true after a couple of years. ...
    (rec.bicycles.misc)