New Naviter Oudie

Hi,

Naviter has just announced a very interesting new PNA called the Oudie - pre-loaded with SeeYou Mobile. I have added details to the web pages listed below.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pdagps.htm

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pda.htm#Screen_Size_Comparison

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pda.htm#Oudie

The Oudie is a PNA that is nearly perfect for use in gliders. Many current model PDAs and PNAs suffer from some "gotcha" issue such as the lack of a serial port, or low resolution, screen too small or too large, etc. The Oudie is the perfect size for use in a glider and offers a built-in GPS and built-in RS-232 serial port - so it can talk to soaring flight computers and flight recorders. The 5" diagonal screen is a little larger than a PDA, but the overall footprint is much smaller than the existing "high end" soaring navigation displays. The display the same brightness as existing PDAs - which is not as bright as we would prefer, but is acceptable for many pilots. It is not as bright and does not offer the same screen resolution as the NK ClearNav, but it has a much smaller footprint and costs much less. The screen resolution is 480 x 272 pixels. That is more than an iPAQ h3900, the same as the Bendix King AV8OR and less than iPAQ 310 or ClearNav. I played with an AV8OR and was very satisfied with its screen resolution. The price is not set yet, but it will be more than a PDA, but much less than an NK ClearNav. Click on the image below to view a larger version. I predict that the Oudie (with its built-in GPS) will be popular both for pilots looking for a portable system in club and rental gliders, and pilots looking for a semi-portable mounted system wired into a glider's electrical system and connected to a soaring GPS or flight computer.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

.