DIY Garmin GPS Internal Battery Replacement

Thought I'd post this for those who own the older Garmin 296's,396's etc
and have been having trouble with the units taking a long time to aquire
satellites, clock displays wrong time and date on boot up. Mine was
taking 30 minutes or so after a couple weeks being turned off. Trouble
is the "internal battery". Figure on start up the gps uses the wrong
date and time to locate the satellites. Now it boots in 15 seconds after
internal battery replacement that cost me about $5.00 bucks and 30
minutes labor. Garmin says it can be done at a cost of $250.00 if you
send the unit in but do it yourself.

I thought I'd pass this on to my fellow pilots......if your interested
here's the link..

http://home.newwavecomm.net/bobbyhester/garmingpsinternalbattery.htm

http://www.gpsinformation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4701

Terry N6401F

  • Re: Peak Army - Trainspotters on the rampage!
    ... Put simply a hack was sent to the train to look for trouble, ... related issue that involved a death on the railway. ... I learnt to my cost (fortunately only in time, ... bigger story that caused this. ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: [OT] Phone Spam. was Is it good to TalkTalk?
    ... satisfaction knowing I have cost them as much as possible for the call. ... Trouble is it costs them next to nothing if they are buying linetime in ... MYOB Accounting Plus version 16 software. ... So your sending us a demo to try out, but trying it commits you to ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: More... In praise of Garmin repair
    ... Republic and don't know what the postage and all about will cost. ... My display would also sometimes look like a UPC barcode when the ... > off and received a box from Garmin exactly 1 week later. ... > minor scratches on the display, ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)
  • Re: Garmin GPSMAP 60/76 C/CS Map Memory Limit
    ... It cost some ... I hate Garmin's marketing ... What I'm saying is that Garmin builds technically less than ... first-time buyers and don't know what they really need before ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)
  • Re: Popping In
    ... I've posted before that I have had trouble with my numbers ... naturopath for another matter and got some blood work done. ... only charged me his cost, it didn't cost me anywhere near the $400 I ... Turns out I have a systemic infection, and looking back on my logs ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)