Re: P-47 vs. P-51

tomcervo wrote:
One comparison I read was Edwards Park's simile of the P-47 as a
compliant farm girl who'd do anything you want, and the P-51 as the
wild exciting girl you never forgot, which may be apt for peacetime or
rear area flying. But it seems that if you're flying in a place where
people are shooting at you, you'd want an airplane that could take a
pounding and hand one out.
Then I read something about VIIth Fighter Command--how they wanted
P-47N's as first choice for those long range missions instead of the
P-51. So by 1945 the P-51's range advantage was not a factor. I know
the P-51 was cheaper than the P-47, but if you have to make more to
replace the ones lost from a .30 in the coolant tank . . .
If you had to go war in either, which would you pick?

To be fair, the question should be, "If you had to go to war, would you rather have 2 P-47s or 3 P-51s?"

==bob

  • Re: P-47 vs. P-51
    ... compliant farm girl who'd do anything you want, and the P-51 as the ... wild exciting girl you never forgot, which may be apt for peacetime or ... rear area flying. ... P-47N's as first choice for those long range missions instead of the ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • P-47 vs. P-51
    ... compliant farm girl who'd do anything you want, and the P-51 as the ... rear area flying. ... P-47N's as first choice for those long range missions instead of the ... the P-51 was cheaper than the P-47, but if you have to make more to ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: P-47 vs. P-51
    ... compliant farm girl who'd do anything you want, and the P-51 as the ... wild exciting girl you never forgot, which may be apt for peacetime or ... rear area flying. ... P-47N's as first choice for those long range missions instead of the ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: P-47 vs. P-51
    ... compliant farm girl who'd do anything you want, and the P-51 as the ... wild exciting girl you never forgot, which may be apt for peacetime or ... rear area flying. ... P-47N's as first choice for those long range missions instead of the ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: P-47 vs. P-51
    ... compliant farm girl who'd do anything you want, and the P-51 as the ... P-47N's as first choice for those long range missions instead of the ... if my mission was point defense interceptor or short range fighter. ... the Spitfire was an excellent dogfighter. ...
    (rec.aviation.military)