transmission linkage 97 Ford E150

My van wouldn't go into park a few weeks ago. Now it'll shift into
1st gear just fine, as measured by the linkage at the transmission,
but won't shift into any other gear no matter what you do with the
lever. From playing around with it for a while it appears that 1st
gear is where the linkage cable has been pulled to the maximum, so my
problem is that the cable will pull just fine but won't push back up
into the other gears or park. If I manually move the shift linkage at
the transmission I can put it into all of the positions, and if I put
it into park I can then easily pull with the shifter on the steering
column into any position.

I'm thinking that maybe the shift linkage at the transmission is
sticking or harder to move, but I just oiled/greased it and that
didn't make a difference. Also I'm not sure how to get at the linkage
mechanism near the steering colum and would probably have to rip apart
the dash. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Any thoughts?

  • Re: The fifteen speed (an explanation, please)
    ... I was told to shift thus: ... transmission, and I was told different stories. ... highest gear position. ... direct drive, splitter to over drive position: ...
    (misc.transport.trucking)
  • Re: 90 Chevy 1/2 Ton xfer case q
    ... out I would expect your problem is with a binding shift linkage probably due to worn out transmission mounts allowing the transmission and transfer case to shift under load which is binding the transfer case linkage and knocking it out of 4WD. ...
    (rec.autos.tech)
  • Re: My method of fat loss using Microsoft Excel
    ... > transmission Chrysler Mopar vehicle ('91 Plymouth Sundance RS [Rally ... > fat loss program. ... > gear shift selectors in automatic transmission cars use. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: break down..torque converter problem?
    ... transmission won't actually shift into gear, but it makes a really bad ... shift lever up and down inside the truck, ... If the linkage were maladjusted or broken, the transmission would ...
    (rec.autos.tech)
  • My method of fat loss using Microsoft Excel
    ... You know how I like to shift gears manually in my automatic ... transmission Chrysler Mopar vehicle ('91 Plymouth Sundance RS [Rally ... RPM's and force each gear to pretty high speeds? ... fat loss program. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)