Re: A/C clutch frozen..what causes this? how much to repair?

On Jul 6, 11:28 am, "John Kunkel" <nob...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

By "clutch is frozen" do you mean the pulley on the compressor doesn't spin
and the belt just slips over it even when the A/C is off?
The pulley rides on a ball bearing when the compressor clutch is not engaged
and the if the bearing is seized it will act as described above. If this is
the case, only the outer clutch needs to be replaced and $1K is way too
much.

If, however, the compressor is seized and only slips the belt when the A/C
is activated, the cost could approach $1K.

Thanks John. Unfortunately, I'm a car-idiot. I can tell you that the
belt associated with the power steering and the A/C (for reasons I
truly don't understand) will break if I turn the A/C on because
something on the A/C stops spinning, which I was told was a "clutch".
With the A/C off, it works fine. Sorry I can't describe it better.

  • Re: Serpentine Belt Problem
    ... my 93 GT about 18 months ago and the Compressor Clutch recently failed ... bypass the A/C Compressor Clutch Pulley. ... Well, the specs for a 93 GT w/o A/C call for an 84.5" belt, which was ... location in between the P/S Pulley and the Automatic Tensioner Pulley ...
    (rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang)
  • Re: 94 Town & Country A/C caught fire- now what??
    ... > cannot find a bypass A/C pulley for this engine. ... > Can I install a smaller serpantine belt and skip the A/C pulley? ... > a/c compressor clutch. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)
  • Re: 94 Town & Country A/C caught fire- now what??
    ... > cannot find a bypass A/C pulley for this engine. ... > Can I install a smaller serpantine belt and skip the A/C pulley? ... > a/c compressor clutch. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)
  • Re: M30 air intake manifold
    ... You might consider a transmission fluid and filter change, ... I noticed that there is a timing belt missing. ... the a/c unit because there are hoses with deteriorated foam casings on ... last August in Omaha. ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)
  • 94 Town & Country A/C caught fire- now what??
    ... The A/C has not worked well in awhile....what would be the cheapest way ... Can I install a smaller serpantine belt and skip the A/C pulley? ... a/c compressor clutch. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)