Re: 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24

matthewdaye@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hey all, just bought a used 2001 Cavalier Z24 with a 2.4 L Twin Cam
engine and 133, 000km. I have done some research and have found that
it has a timing chain. I don't have the manual for the car
unfortunately, and was wondering if I should replace the timing chain
before driving it on a regular basis.

No.

Ian

  • Re: 95 SC Chain Busted...Ripoff Mechanic?
    ... 1.9L engines is the oil must never be allowed to sludge up. ... -The timing chain tensioner works like a ratchet and moves to tighten ... As for the valves, sometimes they oddly manage ... to survive and sometimes the engine flat out grenades. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.saturn)
  • Re: new engine or new truck
    ... is in great condition, transmission good, clutch needs to be replaced ... If the truck meets your needs and it's paid for, rebuild the engine ... make sure they use the upgraded timing chain ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: 1998 3.3L Grand Voyager engine noise
    ... The timing chain could be an option? ... I had the same kind of noise on my 93 ... > 3.3, when I got in there, the chain was pretty loose. ... Mine would make noise after the engine warmed up, ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)
  • Re: 1986 chevy pickup c10
    ... You take off the distributor cap and turn the engine a little clockwise until the timing mark on the crank lines up. ... You then watch the rotor and turn the engine the other way while paying attention to how far the crank moves before the rotor starts moving back. ... It suddenly quit running. ... The timing chain mark meets the mark on the bal wheel ok. ...
    (rec.autos.tech)
  • Re: Stag engines
    ... The cams were rather worn and pitted around some of the lobes, but I can't see why that would stop it running. ... There are no nasty noises when turning the engine over, though it seems to turn a little too easily as if compression's down, which would back up my thoughts about a timing chain problem. ... Make sure that there are no air leaks in the inlet side. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.classic)