Re: Do TRANSMISSION "Stop-Leak" products work?

<David_nj_7@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Within the past year I had my transmission rebuilt by a friend of the
family and essentially got no kind of warranty or anything. This
person has since moved out of the area.

My truck transmission works fine as far as shifting (automatic) and
everything goes but it seems I need to add tranny fluid about 2 or 3
times per week.

My question are as follows.... Because of a severe lack of funds
getting any mechanical work done at this time, although I do realize is
the correct way to go, is just not possible.

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever tried any of the products
they have on the the market that "supposedly" will stop a transmission
leak, condition it etc.... Products such as Transmission HONEY and
other products of that nature...

Do they work? Have you had any success with them? If they can't stop
the leak can they at least slow it down a little?

Again.. I know there is no subsitute for good mechanical repair but
would any of these products at least help me get through the summer?

Thanks in advance.

DAVID

Transmissions normally began to leak as the seals or gaskets get old and
harden or deteriorate. There are some products that will soften or swell up
the old seals which will temporarily decreases the leaking. The problem is
that they soon begin leaking again, only worse than before. In your case,
there should be no old seals or gaskets, so the leak is more likely a
mechanical problem rather than one of deterioration. I would suggest
parking the car on a clean slab or over some card board. Observe where the
fluid drips onto the surface and then take a close look in the area above
the drip. You might just find that you only need to tighten the pan gasket
or maybe replace a transmission cooler line hose clamp. There are a number
of places the leak could come from, but since you recently had it overhauled
it will probably just be something loose rather than something that needs
replacing. If you are adding that much transmission fluid and there are no
puddles of fluid on the ground where you park, then there are some other
things to check that could be causing the fluid to be consumed. Post back if
that is the case. BTW, make sure you are checking the fluid level correctly
and not overfilling it.

good luck,

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

  • Re: ATF, ATF filter, and ATF pan gasket Change Procedure
    ... Transmission Fluid (ATF) doesn't need to be changed in the Camry ... the pan really well after 120,000 miles. ...
    (rec.autos.tech)
  • Re: Preventive maintenance for A604 transmission
    ... transmission. ... the A604 will use either fluid just fine. ... The shop that rebuilt my A604 - which BTW will NEVER touch my car EVER ... My trans shop has. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)
  • Re: Preventive maintenance for A604 transmission
    ... transmission. ... most shops stock Dexron III trans fluid because it is ... The shop that rebuilt my A604 - which BTW will NEVER touch my car EVER ... You replace the filter when you replace the fluid. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)
  • Re: DIY Automatic Transmission Flush
    ... If you transmission isn't leaking DO NOT ... torqued the pan bolts to spec in the recommended order but it leaked. ... fluid portion of the transmission. ... Step 1) Get a clear/transparent 1gal jug. ...
    (rec.autos.tech)
  • Transmission help
    ... 1998 Rodeo LS 165,000 mile. ... While traveling, my transmission started slipping, and had an obvious ... tube that had a leak. ... overnight it leaked off a significant amount of fluid. ...
    (rec.autos.tech)