Tagliani Wins Texas I Pole
- From: "Midnight Rider" <midnight.rider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:41:53 -0400
Tagliani Wins Peak Pole Award For Firestone Twin 275s At Texas
FORT WORTH, Texas (Friday, June 10, 2011) - Alex Tagliani had a two-lap average
speed of 215.186 mph on the 1.5-mile, high-banked Texas Motor Speedway oval to
earn the PEAK Performance Pole Award for the Firestone Twin 275s on June 11.
It's the second consecutive pole for Tagliani, driving the No. 77 Bowers &
Wilkins car for Sam Schmidt Motorsports. He started from the point in the 100th
anniversary Indianapolis 500 on May 29 in the first oval race of the IZOD
IndyCar Series season.
Reigning series champion Dario Franchitti (214.801) will start second for the
second consecutive year.
Will Power, who started from the pole in each of the four road/street courses,
will start third in the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske car. He'll be joined in Row
2 by Takuma Sato, driver of the No. 5 KV Racing Technology-Lotus car who starts
a career-high fourth on an oval. He was the final qualifier (214.470).
"It was a good run out there Verizon car," Power said. "I was flat and on the
white line for both laps. We have some work to do tonight in practice to find a
good race trim, but we should be good. We get two shots at it tomorrow and I'm
definitely ready to race."
The IZOD IndyCar Series will compete in the Firestone Twin 275s, a doubleheader
of 114-lap races at 7:45 p.m. (CT) Saturday. The second race will follow
approximately an hour after the first race concludes.
PEAK PERFORMANCE POLE QUALIFYING NOTES:
* This is Alex Tagliani's second pole of 2011 and the seventh pole of his Indy
car career. He also won the pole for the 100th Anniversary Indianapolis 500 in
May. * This is Sam Schmidt Motorsports' third pole position in the IZOD IndyCar
Series and its first pole at Texas Motor Speedway. Its previous best start was
15th in June 2002 with Richie Hearn.
* Dario Franchitti qualified second, his second front row start of 2011 and his
fourth front row start at Texas.
* Will Power qualified third. He has qualified in the top five in every race
* Takuma Sato qualified fourth, his best starting position of 2011 and his best
qualifying position on an oval.
* Ed Carpenter qualified fifth, his best qualifying position at Texas.
* Wade Cunningham qualified eighth for his IZOD IndyCar Series debut.
The 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series season continues with the Firestone Twin 275s on
June 11 at Texas Motor Speedway. The race will be telecast live in High
Definition at 8 p.m. (ET) by VERSUS. The race will air live on the IMS Radio
Network, SiriusXM channel 94 and www.indycar.com. The 2011 Firestone Indy
Lights season continues with the David Hobbs 100 at the Milwaukee Mile on June
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux NewsLink 1.92-mlp
Capitol City Online - telnet://cco.ath.cx - 502-875-8938
- Prev by Date: Re: Buying Rides - why not Conway?
- Next by Date: Texas I Starting Grid
- Previous by thread: Texas Entry List
- Next by thread: Texas I Starting Grid