Re: 5 place grid penalty

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:23:45 +0000 (UTC), Mark <mpconmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

build <buildy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

10 metres? He skated across the grass from shortly after the start
line!

I'm not saying he was not culpable but it had to be something prior to
the grass.because as I said after that he was a passenger.

Looking at the start closely...

It looks as though the HRTs got a much better start than the Virgins
ahead of them, and Liuzzi (in particular) managed to get up to speed
well. He then seems to get ambitious going around the HRTs, but there
was barely the room to go through without touching the grass. At that
stage, things seem to go badly wrong...

It looks as though he touches the grass (possibly having slightly
clipped d'Ambrosio to his left) and then panics; he wants to sneak into
the pack ahead of the HRTs but he seems to have missed the start of
the concertina effect as the boys at the front brake for the first turn.
So he finds that he's about to slam into the back of (I think)
Kovalainen. Now, he seems to panic again and swerves back to the right
and it was then all lost; he's going too fast and (now) sideways).

Overall, it looks like someone who was over-anxious at the start who was
the author of his own downfall.

There were all sorts of things that he could have done to avoid several
mistakes turning into a major accident...but that's racing.

Now I'll be told I've seen it all wrong! ;-)

Okay, if you insist. :)

IMO, Liuzzi is merely diving for positions to the point where he loses it.
From the start, he takes the exact same line as Alonso did, out wide and
actually cutting slightly less grass than Alonso did and pulls behind HK(i'll
go with your "i think" there as i can't tell either <g>).
This is where things go wrong, but to grasp what seems to happen(as i see it
anyway), you may need to look at HK and the car to his left. HK is virtually
level with the car next to him, but he suddenly loses a lot of ground,
indicating that he braked a fair bit earlier than the car on his left. There
is also a fair gap between HK and the car ahead, which also indicates that HK
was playing it safe by braking early.. In fact he started slowing at the SC
line, which is at least 200 metres from the chicane. The car on his left went
past.
Liuzzi was caught out by this and tried to escape to the right, but HK also
made a little jink to the right just at that moment, then straight back
towards the middle, slotting in very close behind the car, which he was almost
level with just before. As that happens, Liuzzi already hit the grass and lost
traction, corrected, lost traction again and went for the 60-70 meter slide.

As usual, in hindsight we can see that it was an ambitious move, but then if
Alonso can do it, i don't think others should be condemned for trying.
In my view, if Liuzzi was expecting the concertina to start at around 180-ish,
then HK's early braking may have in fact caused the whole thing. We can't
blame HK, he was doing his own race, but i don't think we can blame Liuzzi
either for racing and getting caught out by something unexpected.
I reckon, the FIA's penalty is a stock penalty for causing an accident. This
in fact is according to the rules and the severity(or rather lack of) of the
penalty may in fact indicate that they knew that Liuzzi had no options, but
they've felt that a penalty has to be given when 2-3 cars are removed by a
single car. It's the kind of laws that i don't fully agree with, even though i
know that laws like that has to be out there to discourage sillyness.

Had Liuzzi braged into the chicane way too hot and with all brakes locked up,
taking out 3 cars that way, the penalty would be far harsher.
In the end as Bob mentioned. So what. :)

--

Regards, Frank

  • Re: 5 place grid penalty
    ... Liuzzi is merely diving for positions to the point where he loses it. ... actually cutting slightly less grass than Alonso did and pulls behind HK(i'll ... you may need to look at HK and the car to his left. ... the FIA's penalty is a stock penalty for causing an accident. ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)
  • Re: Drivers license law hits auto dealers
    ... The car or truck doesn't get sold, and believe me, Ford, it's ... to ruts as as many as 6 cars per night park on the grass in the front yard each ... importantly, in my experience illegal aliens maintain a low profile, ... were being raised by other neighbors, ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: parking on grass
    ... Plenty of people park on grass with two tracks of hard standing for the ... the weight of the car in wet winter weather. ... both the highway authority and the planning authority but they may ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Drivers license law hits auto dealers
    ... The car or truck doesn't get sold, and believe me, Ford, it's ... Economists generally believe that an influx of workers creates new ... as well as a fraction of a better paying management ... the grass in the front yard each night. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Drivers license law hits auto dealers
    ... The car or truck doesn't get sold, and believe me, Ford, it's ... Economists generally believe that an influx of workers creates new ... as well as a fraction of a better paying management ... to ruts as as many as 6 cars per night park on the grass in the front yard each ...
    (soc.retirement)