Re: Solid gunk in radiator overflow !!

On Jul 15, 2:35 am, Box134 <m...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:18:23 -0400, Leon wrote:
I have a '96 SL1 with about 63,000 miles on it. Noticed something dripping from underneath the car so I opened the hood and found the radiator overflow tank FULL of a semi-solid mustard colored gunk which was overflowing from the tank.

My first thought was a blown head gasket, but the oil on the dipstick is clean.
Now I have 2 other ideas - someone mixed green anti-freeze with the original orange stuff and it reacted OR the orange stuff ran very low and was mixed wir air in the cooling system forming this greenish yellow milkshake of sorts (i heard that this can happen with the orange stuff - can anyone verify that ?)

Other than that the car runs fine and is not even overheating !

Anybody heard of this before. Think I can flush the cooling system and continue to drive ? Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 1996 SL2, 123,000 km, and I had the radiator flushed recently for
just that problem. I didn't have the amount of residue you had, but it was
similar in composition. Likewise I had no overheating. The service tech
said the antifreeze was breaking down, whatever that means. I'm not sure if
I ever replaced the antifreeze since I had it on the road. If I did, it
would be once only, max.

Anyway, had it flushed and refilled so that's taken care of.

Thanks for the reply - it wil probably save me lots of grief. I took
out the overflow tank and flushed it out, but when I ran the car for a
few miles the reservoir filled with gunk again. Oil is still clean,
car runs good, and no over heating. Glad I read your post before I
took it to the mechanic - don't want to pay for a new head gasket if I
don't need one !! Will keep you posted.

  • Re: Acura Brossard in Quebec
    ... Arrange your own financing with a bank or something. ... The dollar amount contains any and all fees, taxes, and ... When you find the car you like, stick to the "on the road" figure you ...
    (rec.autos.makers.honda)
  • Re: New to mg
    ... > head gasket may be dodgy, anything else to look for whilst I am in there.? ... > tiny amount of emulsion under oil cap, and a tiny amount of oil in the ... the car really has not had a proper run in a while. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.mg)
  • Re: Electricity consumption
    ...  We know there are ammeters, which show the amount ... You need a power meter. ... power consumed by the charger for my electric car. ... Hybrids are not plugged in so there is no electricity cost. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Winterizing time
    ... it is even necessary to change antifreeze every year! ... Ahh, but hang on, my father has an MG with a 3.5L from Detroit and my sister used to use a Sunbeam with a 5.7l from Detroit. ... And IIRC the Sunbeam Tiger used a Ford 289, which is a 4.7 not 5.7. ... Still one bad little mofo of a car. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Blowing out water lines with compressed air
    ... Just run some antifreeze in it during a pumping cycle and done. ... fridge is designed to keep the temperature in the fridge compartment ... temperature of my cabin drops below that point, ... current situation I'd want to keep just one car for the two of us. ...
    (alt.home.repair)