Re: Recommended Mileage for Timing Belt Replacement?

ACAR <dimndsonmywndshld@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:8f91fb3b-9791-4d6a-b709-
9a2a503a7043@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

On Feb 23, 12:49 pm, Tegger <inva...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
snip

But the cost to fix bent valves can double the cost of the belt job, so
there's not a lot of economic sense in trying to extend the belt-change
interval.

unless the car is a rust bucket, not worth the cost of a timing belt
replacement.

I realized--after I replied--that I should have included that factor.

If you don't care if the car dies, there's no point in spending anything on
it outside of the bare minimum. My old '76 Dodge Coronet was in the "don't
care" category, so I'm quite familiar with that concept.

not all of us are emotionally attached to our cars

You mean me personally? I'm nuts, I know. But even nuts has its limits;
I'll eventually let the 'Teg go, one of these days.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

  • Re: Recommended Mileage for Timing Belt Replacement?
    ... But the cost to fix bent valves can double the cost of the belt job, ... there's not a lot of economic sense in trying to extend the belt-change ... unless the car is a rust bucket, not worth the cost of a timing belt ...
    (rec.autos.makers.honda)
  • Re: von Mises Institute on Henry George
    ... >>The cost per car for the CEO is much less than transport costs. ... But add in all the other overpaid execs, the stock options, ... > It was real estate lending that sank the Japanese financial system, ...
    (sci.econ)
  • Re: Camera Card Reader
    ... the OEM will install XP at extra cost. ... I would say two things: 1) there ARE cases where Windows gets so tangled up that a reboot is the only reasonable cure and 2) you don't need to do that on a weekly or monthly basis with a car. ... I also know that the people doing this sort of thing actually view electronics not as a cost, but as a cost SAVINGS because it is FAR cheaper to tweak a computer chip to, say, provide emissions support for a different state or country, than it is to completely redo the entire fuel-air system. ... If our SKIM or those of other makers could be easily and routinely overcome by beaming EMF energy at either the key fob itself or the engine compartment where the hidden receiver and computer are, doncha think the car companies would find out and fix it? ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Almost like a slow motion civil war
    ... The squared off Town Car, the rounded off Continental, and one specialty type car would do the trick. ... For the cost of making the original membrane and then replacing it repeatedly you can buy a barge full of diesel fuel which is getting 65 MPG in the Escort in Europe. ... The problem with battery powered cars is that batteries will never be good enough to make a usable car. ... The energy cost and environmental cost of packing a huge amount of lithium ion batteries into a car is a much worse solution that a clean diesel such as VW and Mercedes already have at a reasonable cost. ...
    (rec.autos.sport.nascar)
  • Re: Camera Card Reader
    ... the OEM will install XP at extra cost. ... do that on a weekly or monthly basis with a car. ... Key Immobilizer Module) in each key fob, ...
    (rec.photo.digital)