Re: what does 4mm life on rear brakes mean?

Makhan, as TNKEV said, this is a measure of how much life
you have left on your Accord's "brake linings," where "brake
linings" refer to brake pads for the front brakes, and,
depending on the car, either brake pads or brake shoes on
the rear brakes. Rotors are not involved here at this point,
at least not as indicated on the invoice you have.

The minimum required thickness varies from one model to
another. For example, for the 1991 Civic, 3 mm minimum is
required for the front. For the 1995 Civic, only 1.5 mm is
required for the front.

It's not clear how your service people measured, so I won't
agree with all of TNKEV's post. The dealer might have meant
the pad thickness on the front was 7 mm, meaning, if the min
required is 3 mm, you have 4 mm to go.

To give further perspective: Your front brake pads probably
started with about 11 mm of pad. If your rear brakes use
shoes, the shoes probably started at about 8 mm thickness.
I'd guesstimate you're probably around the one-third to
halfway point in the life of these linings. To say more
exactly, I'd need to know the min thickness specs for your
Accord and the actual starting thicknesses, as well as
whether your car uses pads or shoes in the rear.

The better news is that brake pads that are very near the
end of their service life have a built-in "alarm" to tell
the car driver. There's a piece of metal on the pad that,
with enough wear, will start screeching against the rotor.
It's noisy enough to be annoying, but sounds early enough so
that it's still safe to drive the car another, say, 100
miles.

You may get around 25k miles of life, altogether, out of
your brake linings, the way you're going. That's a bit low,
but it's all relative. Brake lining wear depends on driving
habits. E.g. do you drive a lot of hills or in the city a
lot?

This a manual or auto transmission? If manual, do you brake
with the engine?

Having brake pads and brake shoes replaced is routine
maintenance on a car, to be performed around every 25k to
70k miles.

Use only genuine Honda brake pads and shoes. Using others
may get you more brake lining life, but will tend to shorten
rotor life. (OTOH others here feel that rotors are so cheap
it's not worth worrying about, etc.)

"makhan" <tjksethi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
2001 Accord LX, 13,000 miles. dealer says 7mm life on
front brakes and
4mm life on rear brakes--actually it was on my service
invoice--nobody
mentioned it to me. What does it mean? Do i need to change
brake pads,
rotors?

  • Re: Vented Discs
    ... Brake pads will outgas and under use may create ... the disc to aid in removing dust and gas. ... mountain bike disc brakes is very large and has huge variety, ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Tektro R556 long reach brakes: Any opinions?
    ... wear brake pads to the bottom with effectively no position error. ... Each point on the brake pad swings in an arc of the same radius as ... that of the upper pivot point on the brake arm, ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Stuck hood 1994 exporer
    ... And I even have to replace the brake pads ever 60-70 thousand miles. ... oil change.... ... failures and defective AC condensers. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer)
  • Re: Cant get rear canti brake to skid tire. Should it?
    ... Still working on that bike for my daughter (it was a "freebie" that's ... Housing ends properly prepared as laid out at Sheldon ... New brake pads and new tires. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: In Defense of Marrone
    ... lane of a 4 lane road with nobody in front of me or behind me for as far ... somewhere around 5 cars waiting to make the left in front of me on the ... As bike slows squeeze front brake more ... miserable life even more miserable for another day..... ...
    (alt.fan.howard-stern)