My 1998 Mustang GT Won't Start!

Help needed please! My 1998 4.7L GT (22,000 miles) cranks but won't
start. This is a sudden occurrance. I drove the Mustang into the
garage, left town for a long trip, and returned to find a truly dead
battery. I replaced the battery with a new one from Ford. The engine
cranks and cranks but I don't get any ignition. I've gone through the
disarm sequence for the factory anti-theft, and done the same dance
with my aftermarket Clifford Avantguard III alarm. I've also checked
the fuel pump inertial reset switch but it seems fine. The fuel pump 20
amp fuse looks okay. How can I tell if the fuel pump or relay are
operating? Could my fuel filter be clogged? (Where is the fuel
filter?)

For the life of me, I don't know what to do. I'm out of ideas and I
hate the thought of getting a tow to a dealer. I'll be vastly grateful
if anyone can guide me to a solution.

Many Thanks,
-DOUG

  • Re: 1989 300SE intermittent start problem
    ... The battery is a quality item, with a lifetime gaurantee (can you ... Ignition coil> Worth a try. ... I'm going to investigate the fuel pump relay also!. ... When the motor cranks but fails to start, does it act differently if you ...
    (alt.auto.mercedes)
  • Re: Stick it to the poor
    ... Consequently the battery went down so I had to jump it off to get it ... It cranks good now with the new battery, ... My first thought was the fuel pump or maybe some electrical issue ... Pull a spark plug. ...
    (rec.sport.golf)
  • Re: 1999 SL2 - start problems
    ... The car has not been started since that time. ... A failed fuel pump may be the culprit. ... There's no reason at all to suspect the starter: if the engine cranks, ...
    (rec.autos.makers.saturn)
  • Re: Car start problem/ ignition sequence query
    ... When it starts it starts fine, at other times it cranks ... Just before it catches I hear the fuel pump relay engage. ... anyone know the exact order of events during the ignition sequence? ...
    (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)
  • 94 intermittent crank but no start
    ... cranks but wont start, had towed twice and ... tried switching the ABS and Fuel pump relays. ... I took it home and un-bolted the power box and did not see ...
    (rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer)